FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.

Moderator: Matt

By whatsgrowingon
Hello all, I ordered a tissue culture kit from Monster Gardens and they have now started to mix the MS into a solution so that what you recieve is the solution of MS and the Agar, there is no powder to mix in it besides the Agar. So that all you have to do is mix in the solution of MS, 2 TBL spoons of sugar, and 1 packet of Agar into 1 liter of water and you're done. I know that the premixed solution has MS and PPM in it but I'm not sure if there anything else in it. So I have read that most CPs like 1/3rd to 1/2 of the normal MS nutrients for thier medium. So my question is do I simply mix in only 1/3 or 1/2 of the premixed MS solution and do the rest as I'm supposed to? I assume the amount of Ager is the same but do I cut down the sugar too? Is there anything critical in the premixed solution so that if I don't add it all in will ruin the medium? Also, will diluting the PPM affect the TC's chances? I hope this question makes sense. Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by whatsgrowingon on Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cain
Hello!

yes as I understand, you will use 1/2 or 1/3 (I have used 1/2) of the total MS solution they recomend per liter, so if they tell you to use 12ml/L as complete MS, you will use 6ml/L or 4ml/L for CP. the rest, Agar and sugar still the same.

hope this help.

good luck!
Cain liked this
By whatsgrowingon
Cain wrote:Hello!

yes as I understand, you will use 1/2 or 1/3 (I have used 1/2) of the total MS solution they recomend per liter, so if they tell you to use 12ml/L as complete MS, you will use 6ml/L or 4ml/L for CP. the rest, Agar and sugar still the same.

hope this help.

good luck!
Wow, thanks for the quick response! I really appreciate your help! Also, since the PPM is already mixed in the solution will cutting it down to 1/3 affect my TC's chances?
By Cain
Hehehe, was looking for new stuff here when notice your post. =)

yes, the PPM will be diluted too. lets hope the desinfection work good for you so your chanses are better, also good laboratory practices will help too.

good luck!
By whatsgrowingon
Cain wrote:Hehehe, was looking for new stuff here when notice your post. =)

yes, the PPM will be diluted too. lets hope the desinfection work good for you so your chanses are better, also good laboratory practices will help too.

good luck!
Thank you, I appreciate it.
By xr280xr
Yeah, you'll want to cut the MS by 1/3 (or 1/2), but then I would expect your media will be deficient on PPM and vitamins. Still use full sugar (you probably want 2 heaping tbsp) and full agar. All you could do then is get your own PPM and vitamins and add 2/3s of each to your solution to even it out. Without doing that, you'll have to keep it very sterile because the PPM won't be strong enough to do much, if anything. You should still see growth without full vitamins, but the growth might either not be optimal, or you might just need to re-plate more frequently, technically leaving some of the MS nutrients in the media unused...which isn't a big deal unless you were running a large-scale commercial operation.
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!