How to build your own Laminar Flow Hood

Discuss all micropropagation related topics here.
Dionae
Super User

Re: How to build your own Laminar Flow Hood

by Dionae » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:48 pm

I think I do okay with my "fake" TCing:).

Dubstep13

Location: San Clemente,CA... Beach City at the border of Orange County and San Diego

by Dubstep13 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:53 pm

Yo Dont tell anybody to "GIVE UP" do not be disrespectful
Grow/Want list.
San Clemente,CA

Dionae
Super User

by Dionae » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:55 pm

For sure. Everyone has to start somewhere. I TC without a pressure cooker or LFH and yes I get plenty contams but just because I dont have a LFH doesnt mean i'm going to give up.

Kind of like saying if you cant afford to TC in a lab then give up:p.

Matt
Site Admin

by Matt » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:27 pm

Dionae wrote:For sure. Everyone has to start somewhere. I TC without a pressure cooker or LFH and yes I get plenty contams but just because I dont have a LFH doesnt mean i'm going to give up.

I only just got a flow hood less than a year ago. Nearly all of the plants Steve and I sold in the FlytrapStore this year were from my "fake" TC efforts using PPM and getting lots of contamination. It just takes more effort and you have to expect losses when you're doing things "on the cheap" :)
My Growlist
Eat Plants! Leave the meat for our pet plants :)

The following users would like to thank Matt for this post
Dionae

Binny

by Binny » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:38 pm

My opinion is that there is no point building a laminar flow without a proper laminar flow filter, I've seen heaps of examples where people use incorrect filters and insufficient fans (see mycology forums etc). You probably are doing more harm than good with many of those and a glove box would be heaps better.

They are not cheap I agree, but if you put a pre filter in they should last almost a lifetime in a hobby setting. One of the most affordable readymade or kitset options I've seen is available from Fungi Perfecti and they sell good filters separately also at pretty reasonable prices (if you are in the US). Not sure if I'm allowed to add a link but check the tools for air filtration page on website. I've had various success with plenty of these sorts of projects and I was going to go down this route but have since acquired two LFH's that where surplus to businesses locally, one is essentially new and they where a steal. If you are not in a hurry keep your ear to the ground they come up from time to time.

If you are handy with woodworking and can get some particle board/custom wood or ply at a good price and you can get a reasonable 'squirrel cage' type fan you can make them fairly easily, but if not I would suggest you would save yourself heaps of time and most likely money getting a premade option.

The following users would like to thank Binny for this post
Dionae

Previous

Return to Tissue Culture