FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Bigfizztim
Ugg I can’t figure out how to post a picture so this isn’t going to go too well... anyway I’ll try.
I bought a VFT from a local farmers co-op. It came in a plastic pot with drainage holes and a clear plastic dome top. I have no idea what media it’s planted in. I did all kinds of research on caring for them AFTER buying the plant. It seems ok, but the stem or whatever (leaves?) that the actual trap is connected to is turning a very dark red. It’s almost brown. I know that they can turn pink/red but this is really dark. There was a big stem coming up in the middle that I’ve snipped off. It gets direct sunlight outside (Maryland, USA in April, so lots of sun). Maybe it was shocked by the light?) I learned that I was over watering it, so I’ve corrected that. It’s also just kind of...floppy. There’s not much rigidity to it. I know next to nothing about horticulture (but I am learning!) but I know it just doesn’t look healthy overall. I typed all this up but I guess without a picture there isn’t much you can do for me. Any guidance on how to upload.
By FoXTro
It should say ''upload attachment'', then pick your file you wish to upload. After you buy the flytrap from the local farmers you have to acclimate them, it seems like you put them outside which is good. Cutting of the stem thats coming out of the middle is a flower, its good for you to cut it off so the plant won't send all of its energy to the flower. I don't see the picture as you said there's dark red on the leaves it could be that it was getting good direct sunlight. If it turning black don't worry it will replace that trap with another one. If your flytrap is flytrap is floppy that means it's not getting enough sunlight. Try to give more sunlight and it will stand up straight and stiff. Hope I helped.
By Artchic528
Below where you write your post should be an area that you can click/tap to upload a photo you have stored on your device. If that fails, use Imgur as its a free image hosting site. You don't even have to log onto an account there to be able to upload a picture.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
By chomato
Or you can make an imgur and post the pics there. Each pic uploaded there has it's own BB code which is what I believe we use here to add pics. That's how I've uploaded mine onto the forum

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as w[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!