FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By vagabundos 91
i have attracts to the shark tooth and akai ryu vft that sale in the local cp florist , but they still baby and miniature, about the 3 cm in size, how long time is taken for them to grow complete into adult ?
By Steve_D
I would guess that a plant 3 cm in diameter, depending on how well the rhizome and roots are developed (whether it is a clone plantlet or a natural division) would probably take from 2-3 years to reach its full maturity and potential. Just a guess-- :)
By vagabundos 91
oh,that,s long time, it must be very difficult to handle them while they still small, especially to akai ryu baby larger which a need a large amount of sunlight than typical vft to grow and produce a good coloration, correct me if i wrong :D
By Steve_D
vagabundos 91 wrote:oh,that,s long time, it must be very difficult to handle them while they still small, especially to akai ryu baby larger which a need a large amount of sunlight than typical vft to grow and produce a good coloration, correct me if i wrong
If the 3 centimeter diameter plant were a natural division from a mother plant, its root system and rhizome might be more developed and it might mature in just one year instead of 2-3 years for full maturity.

The red Venus Flytraps like Akai Ryu usually do need more or stronger light to develop the red color very well, and those plants that are already red need the stronger light to grow as fast as greener plants, but often the red plants will not turn very red in lower light, and in those conditions, when red plants are more green than red, they seem to grow about as fast as other Venus Flytraps.
By Darkrai283
Steve_D wrote:If the 3 centimeter diameter plant were a natural division from a mother plant, its root system and rhizome might be more developed and it might mature in just one year instead of 2-3 years for full maturity.

The red Venus Flytraps like Akai Ryu usually do need more or stronger light to develop the red color very well, and those plants that are already red need the stronger light to grow as fast as greener plants, but often the red plants will not turn very red in lower light, and in those conditions, when red plants are more green than red, they seem to grow about as fast as other Venus Flytraps.
Thanks for doing most of the work Steve... ;)
Drosera germination time

Wow! Thank you very much, everyone!

I'm seeing a similar thing with nearly all of mi[…]

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!