FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Liam107
Hi everyone,
3 or 4 weeks ago, I harvested many sundew seeds. I then planted some, but unfortunately knocked all the seeds and the soil out of the pots. I still have many left over, and was wondering if I could plant them now. For about 2 maybe 2 and a half weeks, they were wrapped up in paper. For the rest of the time, the seeds were still in paper but I also put the paper in a plastic bag and put silica sand in the bag. Can I still plant the sundew seeds?
By Sander
i always tray water because of the danger of flushing the seeds our or under soil or w/e when top watering.

And i keep mine in a terrarium with high humidity for the first few months, untill they have at least something that resembles a root system.
Sander liked this
By Liam107
How would I prevent algae from forming? I know to wash out the sphagnum peat moss but what about the perlite? Can I wash that too?
By Sander
yeah, u can wash perlite, but perlite should be 100% inert, so there should be no need to wash it, what i find working decently is a thin top layer of really fine quartz sand.
Some of my pots have algae, some done, but they all have the same mixture.
Sander liked this
By roarke
If you misunderstand Sander post, do not put quartz on top of your seeds. Why spray the seeds with water ? You risk moving the seeds away. To prevent algae, before putting the seeds, wash the peat at least 10 times with tap water and then a few times with distilled water. If something goes wrong, at least a few patches of algae will appear, but by then, the seeds will start to germinate already. A saran wrap or transparent lid will always keep the moist in.
roarke liked this
By Liam107
Can someone please give me the link to a good website about planting seeds, or explain how. Also, are you sure it's ok to put the seeds in plastic bags? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it isn't good for the plants. Oh, and how long does it take spatulata seeds to germinate?
By Lee
Liam107 wrote:Oh, and how long does it take spatulata seeds to germinate?
Anywhere between 10 days to 4 months
Lee liked this
By Sander
Liam107 wrote:Can someone please give me the link to a good website about planting seeds, or explain how. Also, are you sure it's ok to put the seeds in plastic bags? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that it isn't good for the plants. Oh, and how long does it take spatulata seeds to germinate?
Well, nothing fancy there, just prepare your medium, sprinkle a thin toplayer of sand on top off that, make the mixture wet, and then just sprinkle the seeds on top of that (try to spread evenly). Yes, you can place the containers in a plastic bag, but as said in the later post, make some holes in there for air ventilation (reduces chance for mould), and keep out of direct sun (since that will fry the plants).

As for germination, fresh seeds took 2 weeks, old seed bought off ebay took 5 weeks, so anywhere between 1-8 weeks or so. (maybe even longer, leave leave the pots for a year, no germination after that, discard)
Sander liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!