FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By Adrien
Just wondering if a 7 inch pot will be overkill for my cephalotus. How long do their roots get?
By Nepenthes0260
Ceph roots grow fairly long. I keep my cephs in 5" tall pots and that works well for them. Seven inch wouldn't be bad though.
Adrien liked this
By Matt
Adrien wrote:Do you know if I can grow them outside with the flytraps btw?
Cephalotus prefer cooler temperatures than flytraps, particularly at night. They will grow well outdoors in most areas but be careful to protect them when it gets very hot during the day and the nights don't cool down much. I started using Trichoderma and mycorrhiza drenches on my Cephalotus last year. I don't know for sure that it helps but I think I've read the Cephalotus sudden death syndrome is caused by a bad bacterial bloom in the soil, particularly when soil temps get warm, and the good bacteria should help mitigate that from happening.
Adrien liked this
By 93pirks
Matt wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:07 pm
Adrien wrote:Do you know if I can grow them outside with the flytraps btw?
Cephalotus prefer cooler temperatures than flytraps, particularly at night. They will grow well outdoors in most areas but be careful to protect them when it gets very hot during the day and the nights don't cool down much. I started using Trichoderma and mycorrhiza drenches on my Cephalotus last year. I don't know for sure that it helps but I think I've read the Cephalotus sudden death syndrome is caused by a bad bacterial bloom in the soil, particularly when soil temps get warm, and the good bacteria should help mitigate that from happening.
Never heard of these drenches before so have been reading about mycorrhiza role in soil ecology and came across this type of fungi Laccaria bicolor which catches and kills springtails :shock:
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!