FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By archangel22
I have 3 flytraps and Im treating them well they healthy as can be. Basic question I do keep it under shelter because the sun here in summer gets too hot and dont want top burn them. Again they get enough lights they growing well and arent neglected for the last 5 months since I got them. My question is I get some flies in the garden and occassionally they get inside the house but they never end up near the plants to feed. You dont need to feed them but surely 1 or 2 a summer is a good thing for them so Im wondering is there a trick or way or something I can do to get the flies to stick around the pots and head towards that direction somehow?
By Carpy321
That's a tough one because mine never stop eating em... I rest mine on top of a bin during summer to keep the flies there under control and they just walk straight into it.
Maybe Feed it some wax worms from a local reptile store

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk
By yardleyq1987
They tend to do well outside on their own. For indoor growing, i'd assume that a better method would be to hand feed them, accordingly to the expert's advice on here. Maybe one of them can chime in.
By oval
If you put a small piece of fruit in a paper cup near the plant you will soon have lots of flying insects hovering around.
By Soy Sauce
Another thing to think about is that some plants will stop or slow the production of the pheromones to attract fly's if they receive enough sunlight because they don't need fly's for energy.
By thefic
You can also take a cap from a soda bottle or water bottle and put either honey, or a small piece of fruit, or even lunch meat in the cap. Then place the cap in the “soil” near the plant. That will work as well. Just change out the fruit or meat every few days.

Doesn’t have to be a big piece either. Just something to attract flies and bugs.
By FlyTrap Hunter
Fly Traps are real pigs when it comes to bugs. They will eat every fly they capture and grow proportionally as to how much food it gets.
Less food; Less growth.
More food; more growth
Rotten tomatoes attract flies
Rotten bananas attract fruit flies
And of course they attract undesirable bugs like bees and wasps.
By DragonsEye
Got me curious .... where are you that the summer sun
is too strong for them?
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!