FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about anything you want in this forum.

Moderator: Matt

By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
After browsing these forums I occasionally see these users with the phrase "Super User", "Forum Moderator", and "site Admin" right below their profile pictures. While do kind of know what a moderator and an admin is, I don't quite understand how the "Super User" thing works. Is it something you get when you get thanked a certain number of times? And does it give you any special forum privileges or is it just a way to highlight important members to the forum?
By boarderlib
More than likely, it's based on post count. That's the way most forums are. It's supposed to be a way of showing this person is more than likely pretty knowledgeable. Though you do get the ones who post a lot and are by no means helpful or knowledgeable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
By Matt
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote:I don't quite understand how the "Super User" thing works. Is it something you get when you get thanked a certain number of times? And does it give you any special forum privileges or is it just a way to highlight important members to the forum?
This page should answer your questions:
memberlist.php?mode=group&g=7

I haven't been good at keeping up with the forums lately (too much going on!). I need to go through and remove some people from that list who are no longer active and add others to the list who do a lot around here.
By evenwind
So nothing about capes? Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed.
By Fieldofscreams
Yeah I kinda wanted a cape, bummer.

Matt, if you don't have the time to maintain the forums maybe it's time for another admin and a new group of mods.

I'm on many forums and most have multiple admins and they are always swapping out mods because older mods eventually stop being involved. Life happens.
By Shadowtski
I didn't get a cape but I got a refrigerator full of CP seed to gather, sort, clean, package, and distribute. (After I begged everyone for donations.)

I manage our Community Seed Bank. That's my Super Power.

This is a volunteer gig, but I'm happy to do it.

I try to instill a sense of community in this Forum.

The Moderators do a lot of work that mostly goes unseen. I've seen numerous Spam posts appear, only to disappear within minutes. The longest duration I've seen is a few hours.

A Forum is a little different from running a FaceBook Group.
It costs money to rent the server space, to pay for the software, and probably lots of other things I'm not aware of.
As far as I'm concerned, it's Matt's money so he is the final authority here.

My introduction to this group showed me that the SuperUsers were the ones who were the most knowledgeable in their sub-fields.

Good growing and Good night to all!
I'mm off to work.

Mike
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Shadowtski wrote:I didn't get a cape but I got a refrigerator full of CP seed to gather, sort, clean, package, and distribute. (After I begged everyone for donations.)

I manage our Community Seed Bank. That's my Super Power.

This is a volunteer gig, but I'm happy to do it.

I try to instill a sense of community in this Forum.

The Moderators do a lot of work that mostly goes unseen. I've seen numerous Spam posts appear, only to disappear within minutes. The longest duration I've seen is a few hours.

A Forum is a little different from running a FaceBook Group.
It costs money to rent the server space, to pay for the software, and probably lots of other things I'm not aware of.
As far as I'm concerned, it's Matt's money so he is the final authority here.

My introduction to this group showed me that the SuperUsers were the ones who were the most knowledgeable in their sub-fields.

Good growing and Good night to all!
I'mm off to work.

Mike
Interesting. It never occured to me of how much work is involved in maintaining a forums on a website like this.
By evenwind
boarderlib wrote:I can attest first hand the mods here are on the job. And doing a good job as well.
Agreed.
evenwind liked this
By Fieldofscreams
Seriously?

Ive been active on forums since 2001, ive been everything from an active member all the way up to admin. Every forum, every single one, eventually have mods that are no longer active, because life happens or they lose interest in the subject, nothing wrong with that, its life. So eventually new mods need to be brought on. This in NO WAY means that the active mods here suck or even the ones that are no longer active, how you can deduce that from what I said is mind boggling.

As far as admin's go most forums have 2-3 admins because again the site owner/s get too busy with life and the business that they have to run to be able to maintain the site. How you can deduce that Matt sucks from what I said is mind boggling also.
By _-SphagnumFromHell-_
Fieldofscreams wrote:Seriously?

Ive been active on forums since 2001, ive been everything from an active member all the way up to admin. Every forum, every single one, eventually have mods that are no longer active, because life happens or they lose interest in the subject, nothing wrong with that, its life. So eventually new mods need to be brought on. This in NO WAY means that the active mods here suck or even the ones that are no longer active, how you can deduce that from what I said is mind boggling.

As far as admin's go most forums have 2-3 admins because again the site owner/s get too busy with life and the business that they have to run to be able to maintain the site. How you can deduce that Matt sucks from what I said is mind boggling also.

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about. I've never once said that any of the moderators or Matt are bad at running a site. I don't even know what to say. This response feels like it was intended for another forum. Because I, or anybody else on this post haven't said anything negative about the people who run this.
By Fieldofscreams
_-SphagnumFromHell-_ wrote: I've never once said that any of the moderators or Matt are bad at running a site.
And neither have I.

After my post some came running to the defense of Matt and the active mods.

Not sure what the need to defend was other than some of you misunderstanding my post thinking I was bashing them, I wasn't.
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!