FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By olliesarea
Hi, take a look at the picture below, I think it is fungus mold around my seeds, what should i do to get rid of it? and how do you think it was caused? i think it is because they are a bit too wet, the seed tray is in about 1cm of water continuously, do i need to let it dry out? will the mold damage the seeds?
thanks!
Ollie

By Matt
Yeah, that looks like it's mold to me too. Mold is always caused from wet conditions and lack of air movement. It doesn't look too bad in your case. I wouldn't worry too much about it. At this point, the only thing you can do is apply a fungicide. In my experience, fungicide can affect seedlings a bit. Perhaps your best bet is to move the seedling tray outside in direct sunlight and wind, etc., where mold and fungus can't do very well.
By Steve_D
olliesarea-- You can also (in the future) use a mix that is less dense, more loose and airy, so that it doesn't stay too moist for too long. It also helps, as Matt has mentioned numerous times, to allow the water in the tray to dry completely and then allow the medium to dry somewhat before putting more water into the tray. If you can look at the medium at least once a day, you don't even need to use the tray, because you will notice how long it takes the medium to dry until just moist in different conditions (sunnier, cloudy, cool, hot) and you will become familiar enough with the medium to know when to water it.
Steve
By NZL
Steve_D, i though seedlings were supposed to be moist at all times, no?
By Adam
Over the last year, I have learned a lot (the hard way) about mold and fungus. For myself, I would probably end up using a 2:1 of sand:peat mix. Sand drains well. That's great for plants that are no longer seedlings. For seedlings, I have to be very careful about moist but not wet.

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , I got mine from a website in the […]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Could you send photos?

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!