FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By SFLguy
There are many ways but one way that worked extremely well for me was putting seeds into a glass of water covered by saran wrap and letting them germinate in there before putting them into the media, but it also depends on what type of sundew you want to grow
SFLguy liked this
By fattytuna
I prefer sowing the seeds directly onto the medium, then putting saran wrap over the pot/container to increase humidity. Your typical soil mixes should work fine, but rinse any peat to deter algal growth. Place the seeds in a bright and warm area and they should germinate in a few weeks. For a lot of easier species, sowing the seeds directly into a pot and putting them in full sun without the plastic wrap should also work fine.
Make sure that the soil is always watered (preferably with the tray method), that the pot does not over heat and that the seeds are sowed on the surface of the soil and not buried at all.
fattytuna liked this
By SFLguy
Once they germinate you can transfer them to a pot, your going to want to cover the pot with saran wrap because the plants are going from being under water to the air so they will need the humidity to acclimate (I actually use a really small pot inside of a Ziploc bag) and over the course of a week or so you can poke more and more holes into the wrap to acclimate them to the outside air as you see fit
SFLguy, MaxVft liked this
By fattytuna
The soil method works just as well for D. capensis. I haven't used the water method, but sowing them directly onto soil is probably what most people do. You don't really need to disturb the seedlings either that way.
Growsundews.com is an excellent resource and has guides on propagation.
fattytuna liked this
By roarke
In the past i put some seeds in a plastic test tube closed in distilled water, and germinated. They are hard to get them out and died because i didn't do the aclimation.
I guess than, my drosera burmannii seeds, won't germinate quicly. It has been 2 weeks now, without any saran wrap above the container, and nothing. I test it without anything above the container, just in distilled water. They are close to the lights at 1.8 in, 15 hours of light. I had to add a little water at 4 days interval, because evaporation. 80 % relative humidity.
Do you believe is warm enough ? The majority are at the bottom.
roarke liked this
By SFLguy
The plants will still need to be acclimated and some plants take longer to germinate than others, mine started to germinate after a week but that is really fast for these plants but when you transfer them, you will need to give them the most humidity possible
SFLguy, MaxVft liked this

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!