FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about fluorescent, LED and other types of grow lighting for Venus Flytraps and other plants

Moderator: Matt

By SundewWolf
nimbulan wrote:
Well the results of that video are basically: Don't use solid blue. They have another video showing white and red/blue being about the same, so why opt for the weird colors?
Well I was going off that old veg growth thing and the lights on the first page of the post the other person was using. The company has a variety of LED's, I was going to get plain white, but i read they are possibly just blue LED's painted with a coating to appear white. Doesn't sound true...but anyways...
These cheap panels (Yescom 225) have the (blue & red) which I think I'll get a 4 pack of, but also a (blue, red, orange, white) LED option. Maybe overkill IDK. By the time I get these lights anyways it will be time to put my sarr's outside, but I have to swap my T5's so I need to order in the next few months regardless, I planned on getting about 8 panels.
By nimbulan
SundewWolf wrote:Well I was going off that old veg growth thing and the lights on the first page of the post the other person was using. The company has a variety of LED's, I was going to get plain white, but i read they are possibly just blue LED's painted with a coating to appear white. Doesn't sound true...but anyways...
Yes that's how white LEDs work - it's the same method as fluorescent bulbs. The fluorescent mercury vapor reaction produces UV radiation while LEDs produce blue. The bulb/diode is coated with a phosphor that absorbs that radiation and emits a wider range of visible light. The phosphor coating is why white LEDs appear yellow when they're not powered.
nimbulan liked this
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!