FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By FutureFlytrapV2
Just curious how other people are doing with it. Mine look pretty good, seem to grow decently fast. Feel free to post pictures.
By King Drosophyllum VI
I don't have this plant but I remember hearing from someone that California Carnivores was going to be selling them. Did I miss it being on sale before they ran out?
By FutureFlytrapV2
King Drosophyllum VI wrote:I don't have this plant but I remember hearing from someone that California Carnivores was going to be selling them. Did I miss it being on sale before they ran out?
Sorry for the late response. CC has around ten really good looking ones that they said they will sell. I've talked to someone who got one from them, and they said it looked really good initially, but after a while it started looking sad and has reverted to tiny leaves. They were selling it for $149 last I heard.

On another note, is anyone having an issue with the tips of the leaves not unfurling all the way? Some of mine have been doing that.
By iamjacksplants
Holy CRAP! 149$ ?! Yikes!!!! Wow... that's a bit steep in my humble opinion. Unless they're quite large? I know NE had a few going up for sale last week. Not sure how long they'll last with all the hype.

I'm just wondering what conditions everyone is keeping theirs?

Here's mine - Received November 2018 - pics from a few days ago.
Plant one - 3/11/19
Plant one - 3/11/19
dmagnifica03111901e.jpg (2.71 MiB) Viewed 3829 times
plant two - 3/11/19
plant two - 3/11/19
dmagnifica03111902e.jpg (1.9 MiB) Viewed 3829 times
Conditions are -
Temp - No higher than 80F if possible during the day and as close to 60F as possible at night.

Humidity - Open shelf grow area - Typically 40 to 50% however the last several weeks have been rainy so RH has skyrocketed into the 60s

Lights are two 2 foot Carson technology "High Yeild" full spectrum 20 watt LEDs 5700k 16 hours on, 8 off.

Soil is peat/perelite/lfs from previous grower so not sure on the ratios.

1/4 strength maxsea once a week.

I have noticed the tips sometimes do not fully open and then seem to brown a bit. Just the tips though. I do have them awfully close to the lights though.

Shadowski - what were your mixes before the die back and what did you switch to for resurrection?

Thanks and happy growing!
-@
By Copper2
I want one of these! I wonder how closely they’re related to D.regia- I know they’re from different places but a mega super hybrid between the two would be cool
By Shadowtski
Here are two updates on my Drosera magnifica.
My original mix was 1:1 peat:perlite.
Now I am using 1:7 peat:perlite.
This is a fast draining mix, much like you'd use for D. regia or Drosophyllum.
I top water it and don't let it sit in a tray of standing water.
It sits on the floor in my semi-unheated basement.
This time of year, temps vary from mid 50s at night to low-mid 60s during the day.
I keep it domed most of the time for high humidity.
I feed it the occasional gnat or fruit fly.
It's about 2 - 3 inches tall and looks reasonably happy.
There's a penny in the photos for scale.
D. magnifica back from the dead.
D. magnifica back from the dead.
DSC08068.JPG (714.01 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
D. magnifica with 2nd growth point
D. magnifica with 2nd growth point
DSC08071.JPG (723.76 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
Shadowtski, Shadowtski liked this
By mo_carnivore
Copper2 wrote:I want one of these! I wonder how closely they’re related to D.regia- I know they’re from different places but a mega super hybrid between the two would be cool
That would be really cool, but unfortunately I doubt it will ever happen. Normally (and I'm certainly no expert so someone with more experience can certainly correct me if I am wrong) hybrids between Drosera can only occur between species of the same section, e.g. sect. Drosera or sect. Bryastrum. That's why you see hybrids like spatulata x filformis and lasiantha x callistos but not things like adelae x burmannii. Regia and magnifica are so unrelated (they are in different subgenuses, not to mention sections) that I don't see a hybrid happening. Crazy things happen though, so there's always a chance!
mo_carnivore liked this
By Copper2
mo_carnivore wrote:
Copper2 wrote:I want one of these! I wonder how closely they’re related to D.regia- I know they’re from different places but a mega super hybrid between the two would be cool
That would be really cool, but unfortunately I doubt it will ever happen. Normally (and I'm certainly no expert so someone with more experience can certainly correct me if I am wrong) hybrids between Drosera can only occur between species of the same section, e.g. sect. Drosera or sect. Bryastrum. That's why you see hybrids like spatulata x filformis and lasiantha x callistos but not things like adelae x burmannii. Regia and magnifica are so unrelated (they are in different subgenuses, not to mention sections) that I don't see a hybrid happening. Crazy things happen though, so there's always a chance!
Maybe King and magnifica are really close relatives and botanists think they’re from different Drosera groups because of where they’re from....

If CC has some nice magnifica, has anyone asked how they raise theirs? Also the plants don’t seem to happy in captivity- they seem kind of small for such a big species. Maybe they like lots of fertilizers like King Sundews. Just a thought!
By mo_carnivore
Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that the botanists are correct on this one. Regia is just so different from any other sundew. Everything from its rhizomal growth habit to its primitive and type 0 (meaning they are all the same and they are short and radially symmetric: here's a good article on the different types of temtacles--https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.4161/psb.24685) tentacles and abnormal flowers points to its disparity from the rest of the genus. It is speculated, due to the primitive morphology, to be an ancestor to the other Drosera species. Magnifica on the other hand is both morphologically and genetically similar to a much more recently evolved and complex group of sundews, the Brazilian tetrapoloid section.
mo_carnivore liked this
By Shadowtski
mo_carnivore wrote:Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that the botanists are correct on this one. Regia is just so different from any other sundew. Everything from its rhizomal growth habit to its primitive and type 0 (meaning they are all the same and they are short and radially symmetric: here's a good article on the different types of temtacles--https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.4161/psb.24685) tentacles and abnormal flowers points to its disparity from the rest of the genus. It is speculated, due to the primitive morphology, to be an ancestor to the other Drosera species. Magnifica on the other hand is both morphologically and genetically similar to a much more recently evolved and complex group of sundews, the Brazilian tetrapoloid section.

What I find interesting is how similar D. magnifica is to the Arachnopus section of Drosera.
This is the section containing the Drosera indica complex.
If I saw one without a tag, I'd guess it was a thick stemmed D. indica or relative.
But Arachnopus dews are found in Asia, Australia, and Africa.
As far as I know, there are none in South America.

Just my 2¢ worth.

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!