FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Photos of carnivorous plants other than the Venus Flytrap

Moderator: Matt

By fattytuna
I recently went to Hong Kong and found some wild Drosera species growing on Lantau Island. Since it was winter time, keep in mind that the appearance of the plants may change throughout the year and according to different conditions.

There were two distinct forms of Drosera spatulata. The first was found growing on an exposed rock seepage. This plant was light in colour with relatively long leaves. Edit: may be Drosera sp. 'Lantau Island' (oblanceolata x spatulata)

The second form of Drosera spatulata was smaller and intensely red. This may be related to the cultivar 'ruby slippers'. It was found growing in clayish soil on top of a water seepage.

The last sundew I found was growing near the mountain top in a shaded location. The water source appears to be entirely from precipitation (the peak is frequently covered in cloud). Because of the unfavourable growing conditions and season, I am unable to ID this plant convincingly. Due to the petiole morphology, I suspect it to be Drosera oblanceolata, but it does lack the characteristic upright leaves. It may very well be a less healthy D. spatulata.
Last edited by fattytuna on Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fattytuna, fattytuna liked this
By nimbulan
The first picture is the plant known as Drosera "Lantau Island." I do not believe it has been properly identified though it may be D. spatulata x oblanceolata.
nimbulan liked this
By fattytuna
nimbulan wrote:The first picture is the plant known as Drosera "Lantau Island." I do not believe it has been properly identified though it may be D. spatulata x oblanceolata.
Comparing pictures, it might very well be. Thanks for the correction.
The troubling thing is, it looks exactly like some of the D. spatulata populations here in Sydney (many different forms exist here). I guess D. sp. Lantau Island is characterised by longer, slightly elevated leaves but that's subjective to an extent.

Here's a more zoomed in picture.
By DeaNyx420
I'm new but I'm currently in search of a correct ID for these little guys. I've been told by the seller that is this a D. Tokaiensis. However was told that these are D. sp. Lantau Island. That has lead me here. I've included pictures of all three plants I bought under the impression they were D. Tokaiensis at three different stages of life. Is anyone able to help give me a better idea for what these are? The flower is from the eldest plant (the biggest and brightest in red color)ImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!