FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Have excess seed? Share it with other members here.

Moderator: Matt

By TrapsAndDews
thepitchergrower wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:12 am Shipping potted costs a lot of money. Shipping can be based on weight, so unless you use flat rate.
He could fill the package with Helium (or Hydrogen since it's 4 times as light). :mrgreen:
thepitchergrower liked this
By Apollyon
He would plant them in very small pots and ship them out potted. Some people use peat pots but I've had Chef send a pygmy in a pot that'd slip in a small flat rate or small box first class no problem. Shipping first class would be 5 dollars max after the holidays cross country. If you're careful about it and use light materials, it's easy to stay under 13oz.
sundewd liked this
By ChefDean
TrapsAndDews wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:03 am
ChefDean wrote: Not so lucky, my indoor/overwintering space is limited.
I know how you can get more space. You can giveaway ALL your plants. 8-) (just kidding)
Shut your dirty mouth!
thepitchergrower wrote:And how do you plan to give them away? From my understanding they have a fragile root system, and if uprooted, and that root is broken, the plant will die. Maybe you can keep them after all...
If it were to be necessary that I sow them then I would sow them far enough apart to be able separate and ship them with a healthy slug of LFSM around each root system.
Plus, I'll keep a better eye at my local Lowes too. They put all their empty pots on a rack and let it build up before recycling them. Sometimes they have the little 1x 1x 2 inch cells that would be perfect. They usually let me just take the empty ones, at most they charge me a quarter for each. They'll arrive alive.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By Carnies
TrapsAndDews wrote:Will pygmy sundews be fine with perlite instead of silica sand?
I've had my pygmies grow fine, I'd go with either.
TrapsAndDews liked this
By thepitchergrower
thepitchergrower wrote:Here you can buy more sand for the same price of less perlite. But it also depends on where you get it from, Ie. which store.
But yes, sand will make your pots much heavier. Perlite may be better if you want to ship. BUT, theres always flat rate shipping, which may be cheaper depending on where you are sending to.
By DesertPat
Gotta say, I'm surprised how few people are wanting these gemmae! They're (in my experience) fast growing neat little plants that aren't any harder to take care of than any plant which needs some sort of dormancy period. I'm looking forward to receiving my packet for sure. Don't let them go to waste, people!

Patrick
By Lain
DesertPat wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 3:39 am Don't let them go to waste, people!

Patrick
Okay. I'm too easily convinced. I am still a little apprehensive about trying pygmy but I do like drosera and everyone here is so helpful so I'll give it a try. Thank you sundewd!

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Sarracenia ID

They're either leucophylla or x moorei (flava x l[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!