FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By minimao
Hey peeps, I'm looking to add a new nep to my collection and wanted to get some suggestions for a highland/ ultra highland species that is interesting looking. I'm in NZ and some are not allowed in the country ( like the hamata ) but I like the look of it and also keen to hear about some I might not know. I currently have about 5 rescue ventricosas and ventratas , a maxima x ventricosa , and a Miranda all doing well in the nep department!
Any photos of cool suggestions welcome !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By HeliamphoraWalnut
I think that ultra highland neps are too hard. Get some more experience first, then try them. (I don't even grow any, unless you count singalana) But for cool highlanders, there are many. Inermis, jamban, jacq. , singalana, spectabilis, fusca, eymae, etc
By nimbulan
N. hamata is banned in New Zealand? huh?

I will second that list of species and add N. bongso, edwardsiana, veitchii (comes in lowland and highland forms,) lowii, ephippiata, attenboroughii, palawanensis, rajah, platychila, vogelii, ramispina, talangensis, tenuis...there really are a lot of species to choose from.
By inkaddict92
Don't forget Sibuyanesis ! My hybrid grows extremely fast and the pitchers are nice and plump
By minimao
Thanks, I was just going by climate recommendations for my place. And sorry someone told me hamata was not on our allowed biosecurity list but it is there after I checked. No one seems to have it here though. I shall check out your recommendations and see what is available in NZ. Oh forgot to say I have a veitchii and truncata.they hang up outside so I always forget those two lol)

By minimao
So I got a Sibuyanesis, spectabilis and a few other ventricosa hybrids and a few other ransoms I thought I'd try. Wish me luck !

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!