FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Venus-son
So it's almost winter in my country(currently August then winter) and I was wondering how I should hibernate my Venus flytrap in winter, it sits on my window sill and gets 11:30 hours of light. The past winters havent been that cold because of drought so I was thinking about fridge hibernation but does the plant need light and stuff in there? How does fridge hibernation work?
By SundewWolf
The plant doesn't need light during dormancy. I had all my venus flytraps in storage containers in the garage November-February and they were in pitch black darkness until I turned on the heat and artificial lights.

For the fridge method you can keep them in their pot and just place the whole thing in the fridge, or unpot the plants and put them onto a bed of moist sphagnum moss in a tupperware container. During dormancy you should keep if a bit more dry to prevent them rotting. Moist, but not soaking wet. There are some tutorials on youtube for the refrigerator method and a guide on this website. I am on my break right now, but I can post links later if you can't find them.
Repotting carnivorous plants

I repotted my new young carnivorous plants (see im[…]

Brushes For Pollination

Yep, I use cotton buds too, I find it easier to di[…]

Hey there, welcome to the forums! If you have a[…]

Fishing

I'm in for a few bucks or so of the cultivars. I h[…]

It's all good, just funnin'. SASE received. Order[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

1 year old cape!

Update on the plant in the first post. It has for[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!