FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Bunny
Hi,

I'm in the outskirts of Phoenix, AZ and would like to keep flytraps inside with my plants to catch any gnats. Main questions are will they go dormant this winter? Do they do best when there's more than one plant together? What can I feed them if they're not getting enough bugs? (I live in an apartment that's regularly sprayed for bugs...thankfully it else we'd be iver-run with scorpions and roaches)

Thanks for your help,
Bunny
By Lain
First of all welcome to the forums!

If your concern is gnats I'd recommend sundews or pings they are excellent at catching gnats and everyone says they are easy to keep.

VFT aren't the best at catching gnats. Not to mention they do need dormancy and require lots of light preferably sun. As for feeding any cp when not enough bugs you can feed them some fish food.
MaxVft, MikeB liked this
By Bunny
Considering dormancy impending, should vfts even be bought this time of year? If I can't keep vft, my mom strongly wants to (I'm going to look into the sundews and pings you suggested). Do you have any suggestions for being a vft novice? And can you suggest somewhere for the sundews and pings?

So many questions, so many thanks!

Love the tip about the fish food

Take care, bunny
By evenwind
Welcome to the Forums! Lain's advice was right on the money. VFTs are not going to trigger for something as small as a gnat. And there'll hopefully be other folks along to tell you how to grow 'em in the desert - it's not my specialty, so I don't want to spew questionable advice. But as far as (sub)tropical sundews and (Mexican) pings, probably the easiest way to get a sample plant or two is to use our "SALES, TRADES & WANTS" forum and do a Want To Buy. They'll be plenty of folks that would be happy to send a beginner easy plants at low prices.
By MikeB
If you want to try Venus flytraps indoors, take a look at this article:

Grow Venus flytraps indoors
by John Brittnacher

Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Volume 48 Number 4
December 2019

https://cpn.carnivorousplants.org/artic ... 78_182.pdf

Essentially, you have to keep them in growth mode year-round. That will require more work on your part.

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!