FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Blossom123
I'm relatively new to carnivourous plants but have been growing orchids for some years.

So far I have a Drosera Capensis Alba, a Drosera Aliciae and a Nepenthes Hookeriana. Bought the Alba from my local garden centre about 5 months ago in an attempt to curb the growing fruitfly population that was causing anuisance to my orchids. I was surprised at how effective it was for the fly problem, as well as how easy it was to grow and how little maintainance it needed. As a result, I tried rescuing two other carnivourous plants from the same garden centre about 2 months ago. Got them at a reduced price as they were quite sickly looking. With a little care it didn't take long for the Aliciae to bounce back completely; the Nepenthes is definitely looking better, too.

Anyway, I came across this forum while trying to find out more about carnivourous plants and came to the conclusion that I'd try joining. The posts certainly look very informative so I'm interested in finding out more!
By hollyhock
Welcome to the forums. I can sense the excitement and passion for growing in your introduction. There is a lot of good information and helpful people always willing to help. I hope you enjoy your time spent here. Share some pictures of your plants.. :D
hollyhock liked this
By evenwind
Welcome!
evenwind liked this
By Blossom123
Thanks for the welcomes!
I've been really busy recently but I finally got round to taking some photos of my carnivourous plants!

My Nepenthes Hookeramia
(Looks a bit sad at the moment as the front two pitchers are dying off but you can see three healthy ones, as well as a new one forming)

My Drosera Capensis Alba
(Has grown almost triple in size since I bought it! Definitely helping to curb the fruitfly population that's been plaguing my orchids, too. There are 10+ different plants in there so I repotted this one to keep my cacti company) Image

My Drosera Aliciae
(Has been an absolute nightmare to look after, looks like one of the ones in this pot is dead/dying even though the other is okay? If anyone has any idea of what might have gone wrong, please let me know! Tried repotting the third plant that was sold in the same container and it looks similarly glum - link)

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!