FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By nowakpiotr573
I have bought my first ever Venus Fly Trap at a local Supermarket about a week ago and I have noticed that none of the leaves are actually opening and Im a little worried about that. Is there any reason for that to happen?

Wysłane z mojego HUAWEI CUN-L01 przy użyciu Tapatalka
Last edited by nowakpiotr573 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By carelerasmus
nowakpiotr573 wrote:I have bought a Venus Fly Trap at a local Supermarket about a week ago and I have noticed that none of the leaves are actually opening and Im a little worried about that. Is there any reason for that to happen?

Hey welcome to the forum! Can we get a picture of the plant?Image and also, what are the conditions? Keep note that I'm not an expertImage I can only react by telling you what I know so far!

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk
By nowakpiotr573
carelerasmus wrote:
nowakpiotr573 wrote:I have bought a Venus Fly Trap at a local Supermarket about a week ago and I have noticed that none of the leaves are actually opening and Im a little worried about that. Is there any reason for that to happen?

Hey welcome to the forum! Can we get a picture of the plant?Image and also, what are the conditions? Keep note that I'm not an expertImage I can only react by telling you what I know so far!

Its pretty young.Image

By carelerasmus
Hmmm....looks really light starved....what are the conditions for your plant everyday?

By nowakpiotr573
carelerasmus wrote:Hmmm....looks really light starved....what are the conditions for your plant everyday?Image

I put it outside in my backyard where its naturally moist and wet as I want it to go dormant but you might be right as the backyard is placed in such a way that it only gets a small bit of sunlight in the early morning.

By riveraXVX
its likely just needing some time to adjust to proper growing conditions. most plants from regular stores are light starved and it might not have been getting the proper water it needs (distilled/reverse osmosis or rain water)

give it time, give it sunlight and give it the right water, it should perk back up even if the old traps don't open back up at all I wouldn't worry about it, if new growth starts coming up and those traps blacken or die off, or never open then I'd be concerned.

at least half the traps on any fly traps I've got in the mail or bought in a store no longer functioned or died off within a month. they will frequently cycle out old spent traps and grow new ones during the growing season.
By nowakpiotr573
riveraXVX wrote:its likely just needing some time to adjust to proper growing conditions. most plants from regular stores are light starved and it might not have been getting the proper water it needs (distilled/reverse osmosis or rain water)

give it time, give it sunlight and give it the right water, it should perk back up even if the old traps don't open back up at all I wouldn't worry about it, if new growth starts coming up and those traps blacken or die off, or never open then I'd be concerned.

at least half the traps on any fly traps I've got in the mail or bought in a store no longer functioned or died off within a month. they will frequently cycle out old spent traps and grow new ones during the growing season.
Is bottled water fine for watering? Thanks

By carelerasmus
nowakpiotr573 wrote:
riveraXVX wrote:its likely just needing some time to adjust to proper growing conditions. most plants from regular stores are light starved and it might not have been getting the proper water it needs (distilled/reverse osmosis or rain water)

It depends?Image is it Reverse Osmosis water? Or distilled? And what is the total dissolved solids?? (TDS) Should be under 50

By nowakpiotr573
carelerasmus wrote:
nowakpiotr573 wrote:

It depends?Image is it Reverse Osmosis water? Or distilled? And what is the total dissolved solids?? (TDS) Should be under 50

I might be wrong but isnt the bottled water that we drink distilled water?

By carelerasmus
I dont know? It may have added minerals for taste.... Just check it out

By nowakpiotr573
carelerasmus wrote:I dont know? It may have added minerals for taste.... Just check it outImage

Well even if thats the case, I left it outside my backyard and I live in a very wet country where we get rain often so that should do, right?

By nowakpiotr573
carelerasmus wrote:Yeah! I think rain water should be the very best option!!

Thanks for the help!

By riveraXVX
as long as you get enough rain to never let the medium dry out completely just rain water is fine, you could also collect rainwater to give it for when it needs water.

most bottled water is no good for carnivorous plants as it still contains tons of minerals, distilled / deionized / reverse osmosis water or rainwater is what you will want to stick to. most bottle water like people drink and throw away daily are bad for them

a TDS meter you can test any water source, 0PPM is what distilled water is / should be anything under 50PPM is considered acceptable/fine anything over that and you risk the plants health as they are pretty sensitive to this stuff. it might not be immediate death but usually won't fare well long term
By Orit
nowakpiotr573 wrote:I put it outside in my backyard where its naturally moist and wet as I want it to go dormant
You don't want to keep them too moist while they're dormant. It can encourage root rot. That's generally less of a problem when it's warmer outside. But as others have said, never let it dry completely, no matter the season.
Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You might want to try searching for online plant s[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I got this baby in one of HH contests I believe li[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Order received. Your order number is 1644. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!