FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By evetssnomis
Hi, I'm new to the forum and keeping carnivorous plants. I've just bought to Venus Fly Traps from a local garden centre. I'm looking forward to caring for these and watching them grow. I've read up quite a bit about them but am always looking to know more. The more I now the better chance I have of successfully growing them.

I've kept them in their small pots and placed these in a small plastic tray into which I've poured ½ inch rain water.

Any tips gratefully received.

Take care. Stay safe!

Steve
By MikeB
Welcome!
evetssnomis wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 pmI've kept them in their small pots and placed these in a small plastic tray into which I've poured ½ inch rain water.

Any tips gratefully received.
Here's an idea to consider: instead of keeping your flytraps in multiple small pots, move them to one large pot, something 8-14 inches / 20-35 cm in diameter. Some ideas from Amazon's UK site: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. With the planters, you'll want to drill a few drain holes and put a saucer underneath (except for the Lechuza self-watering planters). Flytraps enjoy the extra space, and they'll multiply to fill the pot.
By steve booth
Hi Steve and welcome.
As they have probably been kept indoors up to now you are doing the right thing. Keep them indoors till April over here (unless March goes balmy, but I somehow doubt that) and then get them outside in full sun if you can. How small are small pots? if they are the tiny 2" pots you could do with repotting before they get going in earnest.
If you need any info ask away, there will always be people here who can help.

Cheers
Steve
By evetssnomis
Thank you everyone, I really appreciate your helpful responses. I've some replies to the suggestions. Please tell me if I should be posting these as separate posts.

I've read the suggestions and link.

I'll keep my VFTs indoors until the weather perks up here in the south of the UK, probably April.

I see I'm doing the wrong thing by keeping them standing in a plastic tray with water in it: Does this sound right:- Don't leave 'em soaking their feet. Water them. Leave them to dry to the point where they're barely damp, then water again (either from above or let 'em soak up some rainwater)?

Next step will be to repot. I'm probably going to go for the "LECHUZA DELTA 10 Self Watering Planter Small" https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MUQVVT6 (Thanks MikeB for going to the trouble of finding these, especially the UK Amazon site, it's much appreciated). I'm guessing I ignore the fact this pot is "self watering" and follow the 'rules' as I mentioned above. Or does this pot offer me some advantage?

I'll need 2LT potting medium:- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Carnivorous-Fo ... B00A1OFQ86

Thanks again. I'm already learning and having fun!

Steve
By Matt
evetssnomis wrote:Does this sound right:- Don't leave 'em soaking their feet. Water them. Leave them to dry to the point where they're barely damp, then water again (either from above or let 'em soak up some rainwater)?
That's basically the ideal way to water! If you're using very deep pots, like over 6 inches deep, it is OK to leave them soaking in a small amount of water, particularly during the summer months. During the winter, it isn't necessary because the soil will retain moisture for quite a long time.
evetssnomis wrote:Thanks again. I'm already learning and having fun!
Excellent! That's the intended purpose of this forum :D
By Apollyon
Matt wrote: That's basically the ideal way to water! If you're using very deep pots, like over 6 inches deep, it is OK to leave them soaking in a small amount of water, particularly during the summer months. During the winter, it isn't necessary because the soil will retain moisture for quite a long time.
I'm actually looking forward to doing this. I'm upping the pot sizes on all my plants and buying some shallow 1020s to water. I was able to get some sweet hydrofarm pots from Supercazzola just in time. It's gonna be a week of repotting CPs.

I agree, if you have multiple plants of the same type, a larger pot would be the way to go. Not to mention there are few things cooler looking than a large pot full of traps. That's one of my goals. To get some huge plantings of my different cultivars. Good luck!
Matt liked this
Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!