FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By Mimi
Hi!
I'm new to the world of Venus Fly Traps, but have always been interested in carnivorous plants. My daughter gave me a small one for my birthday in September and so far, so good. I live in Minnesota, so all the flies,etc. are gone for now. Had to buy some canned crickets as the only store that stocks these things was having difficulty with their fly supplier. (Is there a shortage of flies?! Just kidding! Maybe the suppliers should hang around a stable or two to replenish.) Hoping to keep it alive 'till Spring!
Mimi
By Daniel_G
Welcome to the forums!
I wouldn't feed it at this time of the year, as it'll be dormant, so it won't need food ;)
You can always add the crickets to a curry :lol:
By Matt
Welcome mimi! As Daniel mentioned, you don't need to worry about feeding flytraps this time of year. And, in fact, they never have to be fed, but they do grow a bit faster if they catch insects every once in a while.

If you haven't done so already, reading through the care articles on the main site will give you all of the basic information you need to know on how to keep the plant alive until spring. Should you have any questions about how to care for the plant, don't hesitate to ask!
By Adam
Welcome aboard! Never worry about feeding them. They seem to do quite well on their own in that department!
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!