FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By rpe
Hi everybody my name is Rob. I have been interested with the flytrap since I saw a pic. of one when I was a kid about 25 years ago. I got one about 2 years ago it did not live very long just didn't know how to take care of it. Now I have the internet and a lot of info on the subject. I'm trying agin. Just bought one from Lowes (don't Know what kind it is), ordered a Red Dragon from ebay and ordered a seed pack from a supplier on the net (very excited about the seed pack mixed bag. check out the list below).

The seed was produced by cross-pollinating clones of the following Venus Flytrap cultivars: Royal Red, Vigorous, Fine Tooth x Red, Triffid Traps, Red Piranha, Low Giant, Big Mouth, Dentate Traps, Blood Red Traps, Banded and Fang. It is important to understand that while they may be the descendents of outstanding plants, seed-grown Venus Flytraps can exhibit a wide variety of genetic characteristics and not necessarily the characteristics for which their parents were named or valued. However, like all living things with a diverse genetic makeup, while most may seem ordinary, each is unique and a few may grow up to be extraordinary. :-)
By Matt
Welcome Rob! Glad to have you on board. You definitely seem to share the right amount of enthusiasm with the other members on this board when it comes to Dionaea!

Your seed pack sounds pretty neat. I hope that you get some to germinate. Remember that it can take a long time to raise a seedling to adulthood, but I think it is a worthwhile task to attempt.

If you have any questions or need growing suggestions, feel free to post and we'll do our best to help!
By rpe
Yes Matt I love the flytrap to me it is possibly the most interest plant ever.
I live in Missouri USA south of St. Louis zone 5 or 6 I plan on growing them inside at first then take them outside for the summer after the 2nd year. Some may stay inside thou. Plan on trying different lights to see what works. Some say that the best place is outside but I did read that some have better luck inside. I guess zones, light, temp., and so on is the big player.
What works best for you may not work for someone else.
? Matt, I have access to sand blaster sand for free could i use it as a top dressing for my vft's or would it reflect to much light on the bottoms of the plant.

thanks for a quick response.
By Matt
rpe wrote:I live in Missouri USA south of St. Louis zone 5 or 6
No way! What city? I grew up in Festus, MO. My parents still live there in Festus (actually outside of the city in the country) and my sister lives in St. Peters.

It's possible to grow VFTs inside, but in general it's difficult. I have grown a few VFTs in a terrarium, but only for a few months at a time then I move them outside. That excludes the seedlings I'm growing which have been in the terrarium since March. Venus Fly Traps are much healthier grown outside in full sun. I got my dad 20 or so plants that he grew outside this summer. I think he just brought them in on his unheated porch for the winter.
rpe wrote:I have access to sand blaster sand for free could i use it as a top dressing for my vft's or would it reflect to much light on the bottoms of the plant.
I honestly don't know. How would you use a sand blaster for top dressing? I don't think I am understanding.
By rpe
Well I plan on mixing it with peat moss for my mix then take pure sand blaster sand and put it on top it is a white gray colour will be reflective.
I grew up in Ironton but now I live in Mineral Point close to Potosi.
By Matt
rpe wrote:Well I plan on mixing it with peat moss for my mix then take pure sand blaster sand and put it on top it is a white gray colour will be reflective.
That should work, but it doesn't have to be too complicated. You might want to try a few different mixes for your media. I've been having the best luck with pure peat moss lately. I previously used 50:50 peat to perlite, then I shifted to 75:25 peat to perlite. Now I pretty much just use pure peat.

I don't think I'd worry about the white/gray color being too reflective from the sand. It should be fine.
By rpe
Hey Matt tracking the red dragon I ordered. Should have been here already but it is at the post office now and will be delivered in about 1 hour.. ? how should I take care of it. It has been in shipping for 5 day's now. Suffering from lack of light i'm sure and probly tossed around like a rag doll.
By Matt
They are pretty tough plants. I'm guessing that it will be bare rooted, right? If so, just be gently handling it when you go to pot it. Don't damage the roots and the plant will be fine.

Once you get it potted up, make sure to moisten the soil (with distilled water of course) and then put it in a sunny window. I'm sure it will do great. Good luck!
By rpe
its a potted plant but thanks for the input.
By Matt
Oh wow...I've never ordered a potted one through the mail. I guess I'm too cheap. :P It usually costs more in shipping and for the plant to purchase a potted one.

Assuming that it wasn't tossed around too much, it should be fine to just place right in a windowsill. Depending on how they packaged it, it's possible that the plant might have been jostled out of the soil. In which case you'll have to replant it.
By rpe
Thanks for the encouraging words Matt. It came from Texas, order from ebay ..

I'm getting ready to plant my 50 seed pack in a 1.5 gallon aquarium with a salt water florescent light.
It should be bright enough to get them going I hope. It is a small light but bright.
By Matt
Yeah, I've only tried germinating seeds under some pretty serious grow lights, but I don't think they require much light really. They should be good there under the aquarium light until the spring time when you can gradually acclimate them to sunlight.
By rpe
Matt is there a live chat feature on your site. I'm new to this kind of stuff I don't know what I'm doing yet..
By rpe
Matt FYI Red Dragon came will your site was down. It was in a small 3" round plastic planter with a clear cup taped to the top of it. Looks like it has wax paper with small hole cut in it for the plant covering the moss. It was wrapped in shredded news paper with a "Hot Hands" hand warmer. Plant was fine a couple of dead traps is all.

PS...it cost $6.99 + $6.00 shipping look like a 2 - 3 year old plant
Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!