FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Talk about your orchids and share photos of them here

Moderator: Matt

By JJ_cp04
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me with my dying phal. It might be too late as I kept forgetting to post about it and it only has 2 leaves left. I suspect it’s crown rot but it’s hard to tell. The leaves began to droop so I watered it but it didn’t help, so I thought it could have been root rot but I had barely been watering it and I was letting the soil dry out first. The leaves kept falling off one by one and I just pulled off two more, and the roots are shriveling up. I don’t know if the orchid is saveable as I said, but it’s worth a try. This is my first orchid so it’s kind of a trial and error process, but at least my other mini phal I got a few months ago is doing well. Any help would be appreciated, thanks! (Btw it’s in a north facing window which now gets about 20 minutes of sun in the afternoon because it’s summer if that helps) Image ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By evenwind
It's hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look like crown rot - unless the leaves you're losing are from the center and not the sides of the plant. Most of the roots look dry and a north exposure isn't enough sun - Phals are low light but they still need a west or east exposure to do well. Also, the bark may not be a good match for your watering habits. Do you thoroughly wet the bark before you allow it to dry out?

Assuming there's no visible rot or mold, my advice would be to unpot the plant and look for living, green root tips. Or, at least, fat, silvery living roots. If you've got either one, you should be able to save the plant without a lot of hassle. If all the roots are dry, I'd say you're chances of saving it are much less.
By JJ_cp04
evenwind wrote:It's hard to tell from the pic but it doesn't look like crown rot - unless the leaves you're losing are from the center and not the sides of the plant. Most of the roots look dry and a north exposure isn't enough sun - Phals are low light but they still need a west or east exposure to do well. Also, the bark may not be a good match for your watering habits. Do you thoroughly wet the bark before you allow it to dry out?

Assuming there's no visible rot or mold, my advice would be to unpot the plant and look for living, green root tips. Or, at least, fat, silvery living roots. If you've got either one, you should be able to save the plant without a lot of hassle. If all the roots are dry, I'd say you're chances of saving it are much less.
alright, I’ll try looking at the roots. I also did a bad job repotting it because the roots are sticking out of the top of the soil. Also, I don’t have a place to put the orchid where it will get better light except for under a grow light which I might do, but I might just throw it out because my mom wants me to get rid of some of my plants anyway, I have too manyImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By Collinduggins
The phal looks some different. My sister phal was also in a similar situation, all dried. She then got to know that due to some dangerous pesticides used by the pest controllers the plant was dying. So she decided to use pest control services of Lincoln Pest Control who used all organic fertilizers which do not harm nature. There may be some chemicals or fertilizers used which harmed your phal.
By Jeeper
Once a month soak the phal in RO water for minimally 30min to an hour, though I've left them overnight with no I'll effect. What you have looks like either dehydration or burn from too much fertilizer and not enough flushing.
My sundew isn’t eating!

Hi guys here are my baby sundews now! Please like![…]

Hello, New to the forum

Archery is silent, just sayin'. A well flung arrow[…]

Canadian Carnivores

If there are any Canadians here, I had a good expe[…]

I believe Floramite works on contact so if it wa[…]

Hello again, from Texas

Welcome back to the forum! Be sure to check out th[…]

Counting to infinity.

DragonsEye, I definitely did not know that, either[…]

All Mineral Media

I find pure turface stays too wet in my conditions[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!