FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By jaysolorzano
So i bought a King Henry Venus Fly Trap on Oct 5th, and it looked healthy at the time.

Picture of it the day i got it (October 5th):

I re planted it to another plastic container of the same size, placed it next to my other VFT that i've had for a year now which is healthy and has grown a lot. They both get about 4-5 hours of direct sunlight on sunny days, both get distilled water and the occasional bug (id say once a month, only one trap). I then fed my new King Henry a fly that flew into my apartment on Oct 11th, and one week later, i noticed it started to turn yellow and black... even a new small trap that was starting to grow. All i know is that this plant sure didn't get that much direct sunlight where it was growing before.

Could this be due to a change in sunlight hours? (Barely any direct sun to 5 hours of direct sunlight) or maybe the fly i fed it had some kind of fungus, or pesticide that now the VFT is absorbing? Maybe a mineral burn? or it might be adjusting to new container (This container looks and feels plastic to me but it seems to have a slightly different texture to the regular pots used for growing plants). If you notice, the trap that i fed the fly to is the only one rotting from the trap-outwards, the others are turning yellow from the leaflet on the base.

King Henry VFT one week after feeding. The trap with the red circle is the one i fed.

I should mention that the other healthy VFT gets the same water, same temp, same sunlight, same tray for holding water, and its growing just fine...
Any thoughts? Please help :O
By Fieldofscreams
Some cultivars do better than others when in the same conditions.

My concern is that you are keeping it far too wet being that it is inside. I wouldn't doubt your other vft would do even better if you let the pot dry to barely moist before watering.
By Doublebass1985
Your using the tray method with long fibered moss and it's not outside= too wet. If you pulled the whole plant with the moss intact you will probably find the bottom few inches of moss completely soaked like a sponge. I could be wrong, but that's definitely what it looks like to me. I'm not saying you can't use the tray method ,but you have to be very careful with over watering the plant with that method especially indoors. This is probably the number 1 problem people have when caring for these plants and then it starts to rot your rhizome and in a week or two your plant is mush. You can make it recover if you catch it before it's too late. Best of luck to you bud
Last edited by Doublebass1985 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doublebass1985 liked this
By jaysolorzano
Thanks everyone for the quick replies :)
I might cut back on water then. I do wait for the tray to go completely dry, and then i add some more water... but even that might be too much for this substrate?

Im going to give it some time and hope it recovers. What worries me is that i dont see any new growth :/
Lets hope she makes it.

Thanks again!
By Fieldofscreams
Being inside that is watering way too much.

You should be able to let the pot dry out for a week or more before watering again.

When you water it just leave it sitting in the water long enough for it to absorb as much as it can. Then poor out the remaining water. You should be able to go at least a week before doing it again.
Fieldofscreams liked this
By jaysolorzano
Fieldofscreams wrote:Being inside that is watering way too much.

You should be able to let the pot dry out for a week or more before watering again.

When you water it just leave it sitting in the water long enough for it to absorb as much as it can. Then poor out the remaining water. You should be able to go at least a week before doing it again.
Ah, it seems like ive been doing it wrong all along. What i was always told, and what i read online, was to keep the substrate moist at all times. I will follow your advice then! I hope its not too late D:
By bananaman
jaysolorzano wrote:
Fieldofscreams wrote:Being inside that is watering way too much.

Ah, it seems like ive been doing it wrong all along. What i was always told, and what i read online, was to keep the substrate moist at all times. I will follow your advice then! I hope its not too late D:
The tricky thing is they can’t tolerate drying out, but they also need a fair amount of oxygen in the soil and especially around the rhizome. So they need a well-draining soil that never dries out.

If you keep them soaking wet all the time, they won’t get enough oxygen to the root system to grow well and they’ll be susceptible to rot.

The exact moisture level they should be at depends on your medium, your growing location, and what season it is. It might take a bit of trial and error to find out exactly what’s best for you.
bananaman liked this
Perlite from Ebay

yeah it does look realllly sketchy on their websit[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

I was considering this brand but it seems to be ou[…]

Will it likely recover?

Definitely chop the flowers off this year to help […]

Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!