FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Swizzy
I have a problem with the water in my tray. It's showing 78ppm+ on my TDS meter. The water I am giving them is from a lab. It Is showing up 0ppm on the lab distilled water. I am using a Capillary Matting on a long water tray. Maybe it could be the matting? I some times water from the top. But most of the time I water from the bottom. Thanks for any help :D

Photo of tray:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/teyaikhylci9l ... 1.jpg?dl=0
By SFLguy
Well it could be that, where do you live that you need to keep humidity up, I wouldn't think that would be necessary in most parts if the US
Have you thought about maybe replacing the matting with lfs like Better Grow's, you would even be able to get a live sphagnum culture in your pots since better grow sometimes will revive and start growing again
By cdelavan
Well good news is all your plants look very healthy. What are you using for your soil mix? Have you added any type of sand or other material that could possibly be leaching salts and minerals?
By Swizzy
SFLguy wrote:Well it could be that, where do you live that you need to keep humidity up, I wouldn't think that would be necessary in most parts if the US
Have you thought about maybe replacing the matting with lfs like Better Grow's, you would even be able to get a live sphagnum culture in your pots since better grow sometimes will revive and start growing again
I live in the UK. Thay are growing in a green house on hot days the humidity goes to a low of 5%. I was thinking to put some live sphagnum moss on the surface of the pots.
cdelavan wrote:Well good news is all your plants look very healthy. What are you using for your soil mix? Have you added any type of sand or other material that could possibly be leaching salts and minerals?
That's good! Well I have only been buying ready mixed stuff. So I would not know. Unless I can let some fresh soil from the mix I used and let it soak though. then test the water that drips from the soil. Would that work? If it does work any one know what the soil should show on a TDS meter? Or can I tell with them soil testing kit?
By Cory
Don't worry about the tds of water used to rinse the pots

If it's low in Ppm initially it will be fine the rinsed water will always read high because it has particles in it
By Swizzy
Cory wrote:Don't worry about the tds of water used to rinse the pots

If it's low in Ppm initially it will be fine the rinsed water will always read high because it has particles in it
So the plants will be ok? And I don't have to remove matting from tray? Thank you!
By Cory
I have never used anything in my trays it's not necessary.

It's not doing anything to raise humidity and I probably would remove it.

If your media is suitable and the water is in acceptable TDS range then you should be fine.

Lower the better though.
Cory liked this
By Swizzy
Cory wrote:I have never used anything in my trays it's not necessary.

It's not doing anything to raise humidity and I probably would remove it.

If your media is suitable and the water is in acceptable TDS range then you should be fine.

Lower the better though.
Ok thanks mate. So I guesh I wasted abit of cash on some useless matting lol. O well.. I will remove matting to see how it goes. thank you!
worm in substrate?

Yes. It looks like a fungus gnat larvae to me as[…]

a table with under bed totes painted white used […]

These are argentine ants, to the best of my know[…]

Mixing small amounts of miticide

maybe make an intermediate stock solution that you[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!