FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Steve_M
By Steve_D
Steve_M, what is that potting soil composed of, if you don't mind my asking?
By Steve_M
at first i dont know what it had, it had whatever it had when i first got it, and then when i changed the pot cos the plant got way too big, i added peat moss, just pure peat moss nothing else.
By Steve_D
You might try a potting mixture that is less soggy than pure sphagnum peat moss, like 50-60% sphagnum peat moss and the remaining 40-50% silica sand or perlite or a mixture of both. That may help a lot. :)
By Steve_M
but what if the roots have already penetrated the peat moss? how am i supposed to get it off and add perlite or whatever aswel?
fraid of breaking the roots mainly
By Steve_D
Steve_M wrote:but what if the roots have already penetrated the peat moss? how am i supposed to get it off and add perlite or whatever aswel?
fraid of breaking the roots mainly
I don't want to give advice that makes you feel bad if you lose the plant, but if it were my plant, this is what I would do at this time--

I would uproot it from the container before new leaves begin to grow well: better now than later when it is trying to reestablish itself.

I would remove whatever growing medium is easy to remove, then place the entire plant and rootball in rainwater or distilled water and agitate and shake it enough to loosen the remaining growing medium. I would try to remove as much as I can but without picking too much what still clings to the roots. At this point is when you could notice how good the underground parts of the plant look, and judge whether you think it might have a chance at regrowing and becoming healthy again.

Then I would place the plant and roots in a large bowl or bucket of dryish new medium composed of 50-60% sphagnum peat moss and 40-50% silica sand and/or perlite, and flick the material all over the wet roots to stick to them and separate them somewhat. Then I would moisten the growing media a little so that it is crumbly and sticks together a little, and I would repot the plant into a generous sized new container with plenty of room for the roots in depth.

Then in the new airier, more well drained mixture, the plant may revive and eventually thrive. Right now it looks like it's set up to possibly rot from anaerobic decomposition (too saturated and soggy in media that is too compacted).

That's just what I would do, judging from the photos you posted. Like I mentioned in another post, just use your best judgment. :)
By Steve_M
thanks for the help all.

from what it turns out, it was probably a problem with the soil, i got sold improper soil, i wanted to use peat moss, but because of ignorance i used something else that was a bit too nutrient rich and it fscked up the whole plant.
the plant is still green, ill try to uproot the whole thing and replant it in a new mix and maybe its gonna get better.
By bpullin
Sarrs can handle heat just fine. I live in Atlanta and it has been in the mid to upper 90's almost all summer. Looks like your plants dried out. I would put it in a larger container that doesn't have drainage holes. You can't overwater a sarr either. They grow in swamps and get flooded often. I can't tell if the pot is plastic or clay. Plastic is best. Clay would be a very bad choice. Also if it has drainage holes, get a pan or tray that is tall enough to hold a couple of inches of water. Disposable cooking or baking tins are good for that and are inexpensive at your grocery store. If you plant it in a container that has a solid bottom, like a small bucket or tub, then you can keep the water level very high during the summer and your plant will do much better.
By bpullin
Sorry Steve ;) I didn't read the previous post before I got all long-winded on you. Long fiber sphagnum moss is safe and works well. If you have clean water, swish the roots in it to get rid of the bad soil.
Not what you would expect...

But, of course. It’s always good to have one[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Ah, an Xtreem "purpurea". My favorite nu[…]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

This was pulled out of dormancy last week. I did n[…]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

I believe you're right, there appears to be some s[…]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!