FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Kilgore Trout
Hello, and happy new year!

I am new to flytraps and I need some advice. A few months ago I bought a flytrap at a grocery store, just out of curiosity. Soon I noticed that it had a lot of babies underneath, struggling for space.
So yesterday I separated the babies so they can grow. I got an empty lettuce container and some of the most basic soil I could find, and planted the babies in there. As it turned out, there are NINETEEN of them:

Please advise me how to take care of them. Is this soil OK? I read that you shouldn't use potting soil for flytraps, but where else would they get nutrients when they're that young? They're too small to catch bugs. I'd appreciate any helpful links/articles.

By the way, here is the original plant:

By Kilgore Trout
P.S. I have seen the Care Sheet, I'm looking for more specific advice on raising baby flytraps.
My main question is whether this soil is acceptable or if I need to put them in peat moss ASAP.
By Shadowtski
Potting soil is slowly lethal to flytraps.
They get most of their energy from photosynthesis.
I raise baby flytraps in a 50/50 peat/perlite or peat/sand mix, same as their adult counterparts.
Matt has good info at www.flytrapcare.com.

I'm not an expert, just offering my 02¢ worth.
Mike
MikeB liked this
By Panman
What he said. Get them out of potting soil and into peat/ perlite or sphagnum moss. Potting soil will kill them, and because they are small, kill them faster.
By Matt
I'd recommend getting the flytraps out of the potting soil and storing them in a damp paper towel in a plastic baggie in the fridge until the soil arrives. They will fairly quickly die in the potting soil and, if not removed from it fairly quickly, will be significantly set back at the least.

For $7 I'd have to pick one of those up myself!

Congrats on being a new flytrap owner! The trap wi[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

I got you. Order received. Your order number is 1[…]

I think I could achieve something similar wi[…]

Not what you would expect...

There are no mounds of moss in the picture. There[…]

Damn, I think one of the sundews rotted away. No i[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!