FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By idfku
This is a plastic 'pot' with the drainage in the bottom. It's 4" deep, approximately 4" across. It's seated inside of an orange ceramic pot, with a 1" gap between the bottom of the plastic 'pot' and the actual 'floor' of the ceramic pot. My VFT is currently in a pot approximately half the size, if not smaller.

I know this will be better for it, but is it reasonable to expect the VFT will survive it's life in this pot?
Attachments:
P081010_21.13.jpg
P081010_21.13.jpg (94.12 KiB) Viewed 2319 times
By 95slvrZ28
Your VFT will survive in it, although it would prefer to not have the outer pot for light...but the outer pot is good for insulation. Ideally you would want something deeper, but that would work fine for a small flytrap. That said, unless you want a particularly pretty solution, a 16oz styrofoam drinking cup is a cheap and very effective potting solution.
By idfku
I want it to have a (healthy, happy) dormancy... i'm just wondering if this is going to suit it through that period. I don't mind pulling the plastic pot from the ceramic if that's what's best.
By Steve_D
idfku wrote:I want it to have a (healthy, happy) dormancy...
For a healthy, happy dormancy, remember to give the Flytrap light (it still photosynthesizes), keep it from freezing and cut down the watering severely, allowing the medium to become almost dry (just moist) before watering again, because the plant uses very little water during dormancy, much less than during the active growing season, and the cool to cold temperatures greatly reduce the rate at which the water evaporates from the medium. :)
Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!