FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss any carnivorous plant that doesn't fit in the above categories here or general chat about carnivorous plants

Moderator: Matt

By xr280xr
AaaaNinja wrote: You can use playbox sand (Quikcrete) but it comes in 50-lb. bags and you have to .
Just make sure it's 100% silica/quartz. A lot of the times play sand is not.
By AaaaNinja
xr280xr wrote:
AaaaNinja wrote: You can use playbox sand (Quikcrete) but it comes in 50-lb. bags and you have to .
Just make sure it's 100% silica/quartz. A lot of the times play sand is not.
Yes it is, that's why I mentioned the brand Quikcrete, I've looked over their msds sheet, and Sarracenia Northwest uses it. It can, of course, get contaminated, like if you go to the store and you see it being shelved below bags of lime or something.

The Quikcrete products that are good are commercial grade, playbox, all-purpose. Concrete mix, jointing sand, topping mix are no good, it's not for plants, it's for making concrete! I'm not at home right now but I think the bag I have is the commercial grade.

Whatever it is, the particles are pale and it definitely tells me the pieces are bits of quartz. So that means my plants are biodynamically grown with the powers and energies of the moon cycles and cosmic stuff (and I'm not talking about sunlight). Because.... crystals.... Image
Last edited by AaaaNinja on Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Beaver746
Ok thank you every body. I'm using the peat moss with perlite that has no fertilizer and I'm adding a little sand that's 100% silica to the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
By cjpflaumer
I bought the sunshine brand and I was disappointed with the amount of sticks/bark in it. It was a ton. Just be careful and remove as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
By Beaver746
Here is a updated picture for you guys. Just to update you on the progress of my plant... He still isn't looking too happy, but I'm still hoping that he will pull through. ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Beaver746 liked this
What’s happening

Im not sure how strong the grow lights are but the[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Here is the photo, didn’t upload for some re[…]

Atlanta Georgia Meetup

That is one heck of a setup. What are all the larg[…]

Yescom Altrnatives

Not the exact same as it is 150W but might work ou[…]

So this is the only "lone wolf" that I h[…]

Expanding the Garden

That's looking great!!! Some good-looking soil!!![…]

Counting to infinity.

Ive been searching the web for perlite for two day[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!