FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By MarionGill
So I decided to rescue the last living Venus flytrap from my local DIY store but have no experience of growing any sort of plant before. When I got it I thought it wouldn't last more than a week as it looked so unhealthy (it had previously been in a room with little to no sunlight and the soil was exceptionally dry) but I thought I would have a go at rescuing it. In the past couple of weeks it seems to have really improved however when I was checking out the soil today I noticed an infestation of small almost transparent worms and what appears to be tiny spiders! I am absolutely devastated as I've grown quite attached to my plant already! Is there anything I could do? Would repotting help? I've included a photo of the plant but couldn't get any of the insects as they're too small and move around too much. Any advice would be much appreciated!
uploadfromtaptalk1430933522902.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1430933522902.jpg (355.13 KiB) Viewed 2340 times
By cdelavan
A picture of the worms and spiders would help. Most of the time fungus gnats aren't too big of a threat and the spiders themselves will not harm your plant. If the spiders you see are fast moving then they are most likely not spider mites (which are very bad) and just regular spiders. My flytraps always have tons of spiders hanging around them since they know insects will be hovering around the traps. Again if you can get a pic of the pests that would help immensely.
By MarionGill
I think the worms are fungus gnat larvae. Yes the spiders are very fast moving, that's why I can't get a photo of them! They appear to be a reddy brown colour.
By SEWinans
MarionGill wrote:Thank you all for your help! Does the plant look otherwise ok?
Yes it looks lovely. Nice, healthy new growth.
By tommyr
Get some 'Mosquito dunks' and add a small chunk to the water tray. It contains BT which is an all natural larvicide.
tommyr liked this

After sealing the wood, I would line the top pa[…]

Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!