FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By CandyCane
I have a range of sundews from the burmannii d.sessilifolia, typical Cape sundew an albino, a "big pink" one last aliciae the other Is dead I'm sure it's all black. While I have pictures and dates written down I have them in a little greenhouse with a t5 light well one fixture. Holds 4 floresnt and the other is just a small 2 t5 bulbs, I have air movement- humidity and most are in a little saucer or w.e to hold water via tray method- however one pot is too big I cant find anything that will allow me to use tray method so I make sure I water it well and yet my plants are still not doing good the leaves have deformed on two plants and the burmannii isn't pink like it should be there right under this light from 7AM to9PM on an automatic timer WHAT ELSE IS GOING ON I recently sprayed neem oil but I haven't seen a difference
Attachments:
20190721_180015.jpg
20190721_180015.jpg (3.62 MiB) Viewed 2179 times
The whole layout
The whole layout
20190721_180111.jpg (2.87 MiB) Viewed 2179 times
By CandyCane
I have more pictures and closer up please any if you who consider you're selves to be great at this please help me bc I keep buying them and there dying I dont understand these all say great for beginners but yet why the hell is it so fn hard to keep them alive my typical sundews have even started to decline and they were doing the best when I started buying a few different species
By Shadowtski
The big 3 are light, water, and media.

Light is usually the problem.
Full sunlight is best for most CPs(After being introduced to it gradually if they come from a death cube or an unknown source.).
With adequate light, you get nice Red color and sturdy traps and tentacles.
Reduce the light a little and you lose the Red.
Reduce it a little more and you start getting longer, stringier etiolated leaves.
Reduce it even more and you lose the traps and get deformed leaves.
I run LEDs on my my inside plants. Fluorescents, esp T5s generate too much heat for me. I try to get 3000 - 5000 lumens at the leaves of the plant. (Full sunlight is approximately10,000 equivalence)

Water should be distilled water, rain water, or reverse-osmosis/de-ionized water. It should have a TDS well below 50. (TDS meters are available for 10 - 20 bucks at Amazon.) A very few municipalities have water that is pure enough for CP.
These minerals build up in your soil and eventually kill off your plants, slowly.

Media should be acidic nutrient free.
I use a 50/50 mix of peatmoss and perlite.
Some substitute sand for perlite, but it has to be calcium free clean silica sand.
Some companies like Miracle Gro put fertilizer in their peatmoss, this is a big NOPE for CP.

This is my oversimplified 2¢ worth.
Check out Matt's VFT care and page at http://www.flytrapcare.com

Good growing,
Mike
By CandyCane
But I have a temperature/humidity gage and a fan and a small humidity Would run when needed and there abt 9 to 10 inches above the plants I'm almost certain these are the same bulbs the women I buy all my plants from or rather she might use the longer T8 I think I'm going to ask and I've rinsed the media before a few times I am in the process of rinsing out even more times with water but these lights are at the very least still bright lights, It still doesn't seem to reason that light is why these even wide leaf Capensis leads are stunted the humidity is always above 40° the water this i mean i buy it and it says distilled water on it- maybe i need to still buy some meter for it? I'm going out of mind ...
By CandyCane
CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE??? the light is close idk the exact distance to the plants but maybe at least 12inches above and this is what my wide leaf Capensis looks like
Attachments:
20190721_180015.jpg
20190721_180015.jpg (3.62 MiB) Viewed 2107 times
By dewyray
You didn't mention anything about feeding your plants. Do you feed them periodically? Indoors, they'll catch nowhere near what they can easily handle outdoors. And if grown in unnatural conditions, a lack of food will definitely have an effect. Good luck!

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
By CandyCane
Yes i feed them there outside in a little mini green house so bugs do get to them also but I still give extra and I've read tht small leaves like this are caused by not enuf light but the women I bought them from uses a t8 and I dnt have room for a light that big so I have a T5 with 4 lights and another that's only got two bulbs so I know it's got to. Be at least somewhat good enuf- but I had it like 12 in above them I read yesterday tht t5s need to be close to the plants so how close to put lights?????
Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

Hey all, I just wanted your thoughts on Dionaea m.[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Counting to infinity.

Beautiful - nice to see your signs of spring!!

Completely agree on the Lowe’s BetterGrow vs[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!