FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By girlzano167
i leave my sarrencia plants outside each day and today i left early to do stuff and and came back at 12:00 andi went to go check my plants they all stop growing and it was 50 degrees outside i left them outside with cold what should i do i alreay watered with warm water and stop growing any help please if i could i would attatch pictures but i cant
By Matt
Hello and welcome to FlytrapCare!

I don't think I understand very well what the problem is with your plant. I'm not entirely sure how you can tell that your plant stopped growing in one day. Plants grow slowly enough that it's not really possible for humans to tell if the plant has stopped growing from day to day.

Also, 50°F weather is perfectly fine for Sarracenia to experience, especially this time of year. What is it that you think is wrong with the plant exactly?
girlzano167 wrote:i put them in the microwave now i also cut the stopped growing ones HELP PLEASE WHAT TO DO!!!!!!
Do you mean that the plant is starting to lose pitchers? That's perfectly normal this time of year. Oh, and whatever you're using the microwave for, you shouldn't be.

A little more clarification of the problem you're seeing would help a lot in being able to give you some instructions.
By ModeratelyExcessive
girlzano167 wrote:i think you right :oops: i put in microwave 30 minutes now its black. what do i do now :cry: ?
You cooked your plant? :shock: I think it's safe to say your plant is dead.

Please read up on Sarracenia before you do anything to the plant. Sarrs go through dormancy periods in the winter, meaning their growth will slow down and many of their leaves and pitchers may die, but they will bounce back in the spring. It's just part of their life cycle. They can handle 50 degrees and colder just fine.

And please don't put any more plants in the microwave!
By Nickrober
girlzano167 wrote:i think you right :oops: i put in microwave 30 minutes now its black. what do i do now :cry: ?
Eat it?
ModeratelyExcessive wrote:please don't put any more plants in the microwave!
I'd say it's probably dead after 30 minutes of microwave. I don't even think food can handle 30 minutes in a microwave.
By hackerberry
Hello girlzano167 and welcome to the Forum. At least you gain knowledge from your experience. By next spring, you should be able to care for these amazing plants with the help of the helpful folks in the forum.

hb
By ModeratelyExcessive
girlzano167 wrote:i did next time i guess i will only put it in the microwave for 15 minutes :|
Um, no. There is no reason to put them in the microwave AT ALL.
By Aging_Bourbon
girlzano167 wrote:but plants need warm getting cold in fall.
In the fall they start to go dormant and in winter they are dormant (their winter sleep)
By ModeratelyExcessive
girlzano167 wrote:but plants need warm getting cold in fall.
The Sarrs are perfectly fine in fall/winter weather until freezing temperatures. They can handle 40-50 degrees, no problem. They actually need this cold period to go through dormancy. It's like hibernation for animals. They will actually be happier and healthier in the long run if they grow through their life cycle naturally, which includes a cold period. This is how they've survived in the wild for millions of years.

Just give your plant as much sunlight as you can, and keep its soil moist. If you predict freezing temperatures, bring it inside and keep it in a window.

But you will only kill it if you give it way too much heat too fast.
By Aging_Bourbon
girlzano167 wrote:so you saying only 5 minutes next time?
NO!!! freakin Microwaves!!! microwaves cook stuff with radiation! don't do that again! goddang it girl just leave it outside it was perfectly healthy until you did that. It was starting to go dormant..

Allen,
Transaction with Secretariat73

I purchased five varieties of Sarracenia from Secr[…]

Drosera germination time

Oh, and the Twister II seeds are in this germinati[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

A greenhouse or a greenhouse terrarium? They do we[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!