FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Vorso
I’ve been keeping my VFT out on my balcony for the past few days (~30 degrees F) for its dormancy period. Last night it was fine but today I found it very brown and droopy. The soil is still damp. Any ideas as to how I can fix it? For now I’ve taken it inside to put it somewhere with more light. I’m a new VFT owner so please be kind
Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg (2.4 MiB) Viewed 2132 times
By ChefDean
It looks like a cross between dormancy, and maybe some mineral burn. Perhaps with a little freezing thrown in. What is that pot made of? Unglazed pottery can leach minerals into the media that can harm the plant.
You mentioned 30°F, but is that a daytime high or a nighttime low? If it freezes at night, but warms up during the day, that freeze/thaw cycle isn't good for the plant.
Vorso liked this
By Vorso
The pot is made of ceramic, and doesn’t seem to be glazed on the inside. 30 is an average, these past few days the daytime high has been in the low 40s and nighttime low is 30. However the last two days had nighttime lows of 18, so maybe that could’ve caused some issues?
By Vorso
Hm I did more looking and the planter was listed as resin by the seller. It does feel more like plastic than ceramic
ChefDean liked this
By Matt
Looks to me like it froze out on the balcony. While really freaking cool ;) , that pot is far too small to be optimal for a Venus flytrap growing outside and if it was freezing and windy, it likely got desiccated when it was frozen and unable to transport water to its extremities.
ChefDean, Vorso, MikeB liked this
By Vorso
Alright I’ll replant it into something bigger, thanks! What do I do to help it from completely dying at this point?
By ChefDean
Repot it, make sure the top of the white part of the rhizome is even with the surface of the media. Put it somewhere that it will stay cold to cool and keep it damp until the weather warms up, light doesn't matter in dormancy. Mine are in an insulated but windowless, unheated garage. Once it stays above freezing at night, put it out for the summer.
Panman liked this
Unkown sarracenia

I got these sarracenia from sarracenia northwest a[…]

worm in substrate?

Found this in with my seedlings.. is it a worm?

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!