FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By James000
Hello! I'm from the Delaware Valley. Native plants have been an interest of mine for a while. I didn't know my area had pitcher plants or sundews, and they look very pretty too. I was surprised they had their own little cute flowers.

I've signed up to the forum because I think I need some assistance with a bog garden I'm putting in the ground.

I've got a lot of bricks and tile. They're not limestone, but I'm worried since they're red bricks they might add minerals into the bog. I also think it's going to settle, since it's so rainy there. I'm using bricks because I have a bunch of them. The inside cavity is 14 inches deep, 33 inches long, and 20 inches wide. I have leftover bricks.

It's going by a rainspout that floods when it rains and stays wet for a while. It's near a concrete porch. It's a sunny area with 6+ hours of direct sunlight, but it faces east/northeast. I'm going to fill it with some soil mix I can find online. My hardiness zone is 7a. The soil around here is typically moist clay.

The carnivorous plants I'm thinking about planting are Drosera filiformis filiformis and Sarracenia purpurea purpurea. My mom insists on planting Venus Flytraps. I'd get King Henry flytraps because I read they're hardy. I'm worried about the pitcherplant because I read their flowers can smell somewhat miasmic. My conclusion so far is that they smell different to everyone because some have said "Cat Urine," but others say "Citrus-like." I've also read: Mild flower-y smell, no smell, cherry scented (rubra), mint scented (leucophylla), bog scented, fruit punch scented, and the citrus or catty smell of flava. I haven't found anything on purple pitcher flowers smelling bad (They look nice, though).

If something goes wrong, at least I'd have some very pretty sphagnum moss. I may just plant orchids, cranberries, and other flowers if things fall through. Whatever likes being there.
Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Any ideas?

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!