FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By akinkysnorlax
Hey everyone, my name is Andrew and I have been growing carnivorous plants for about a year now. My fascination with these plants started early last year when I moved into a new house with a 3 season room, or a sun-room as some people call it. Flies and ladybugs always seemed to find there way into the room while I was watching television. My girlfriend asked me how to get rid of these pests without having to dangle those gross sticky flytrap tapes on the ceiling. Out of the blue, I said we should get a Venus flytrap. It has been history since. I started off with a standard 7 dollar Venus Flytrap from our local nursery (the cheap manufactured flytraps) and was impressed, but not until I got online and found so many larger, healthier and more colorful varieties available. I decided to make several purchases via Joelscarnivorousplants, Carnivorous Plant Nursery, Leilani-Nepenthes out of Colorado, California Carnivores, and of course FlytrapStore. With my investment in these plants I decided to take on studying how they work and how to grow them successfully. With the help of fellow growers, this website and many other sources I have been very successful and feel great knowing I can take care of them. I had no prior education of really growing ANY kinds of plants, besides just watering flowers in the front and back yard. Currently, I am still mastering how to grow my plants while adding on new species like Drosera and Sarracenia.

As of know my grow list includes:

Pinguicula:
moctezumae
lutea
caerulea
primuliflora

Sarracenia:
purpurea venosa

Drosera:
capensis (typical)
capensis (albino)
capensis (red)
capensis (giant)
capensis x spatulata

Dionaea:
Fang
FTS Seed Grown
Long Red Fingers
Gremlin
Akai Ryu
Red Dragon
FTS Crimson Sawtooth
B52
Big Mouth
Burbank's Best
Bristletooth
Fused Tooth
Dente
Giant's Best Clone
A2
Clumping Cultivar
King Henry
Typical
German Sawtooth

I am looking forward to helping myself to this forum and others too. Always open to questions and comments.
Last edited by akinkysnorlax on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
By pieguy452
Welcome to the forums, Andrew! That's an excellent start to a grow list you have there :)
By Veronis
Welcome to the forums! Nice grow list - you're off to a fantastic start there. :)

Purpurea ssp venosa is a great little plant - one of my favorites.
By akinkysnorlax
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.
Veronis wrote:Welcome to the forums! Nice grow list - you're off to a fantastic start there. :)

Purpurea ssp venosa is a great little plant - one of my favorites.
Yeah I have heard it was one of the easier sarracenia to grow, and for a dollar I could not resist. It was in a death cube and made some very poorly formed pitchers. About a week ago It finally put out a large normal looking pitcher and its definitely doing better. The challenge and satisfaction of saving the plant is a great feeling.
By akinkysnorlax
Daniel_G wrote:Welcome to the forums. Such a good growlist :D Quite a few B52's!
Thanks! About 5 of them came from Conner's Carnivores and 3 of them (maybe more) came from Leilani. Conner was low on premium sized plants so he sent me some baby ones which have already gotten quite large. The ones from Leilani were huge and were already making 1.5" traps
By happiness
Hey! I bought from Joelscarnivorousplants too. It was my very first Venus flytrap, which was only about 5 months ago.

Very nice list of plants :D I hope to eventually have a variety like yours one day. ;)
By camsdad66
Hi Andrew, welcome!
I am a newbie to the forums, but not carnivorous plants. Just made my first post today!! Saw your post about a S. purpurea rescued from a "death cube". My wife got me one about a year ago from Lowes, I think. It was all green, and the saddest looking thing you ever saw. Crying out for TLC!! Well.....after a year outside & in full sun, it is a happy camper! Good luck with your plants, this is a very addictive hobby!!
Good growing!
Attachments:
S. purpurea saved from "death cube"
S. purpurea saved from "death cube"
S. purpurea June 2013.JPG (85.02 KiB) Viewed 8275 times

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Not what you would expect...

The old trailer is kinda spooky as it is, withou[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!