FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.

Moderator: Matt

By kutija
Hi guys,

It's a pleasure to be here and looking forward to learning new stuff about my newly adopted Flytrap buddy! While I'm introducing myself I would like to ask two questions. I've got it with a lot of green weed around the pot, is this ok or should I remove it ASAP? And one thing I noticed while I was typing it has two traps practically "buried" between the weed and are turning yellow any tips what should I do?

Much obliged
Attachments:
photo_2020-02-29_17-26-55.jpg
photo_2020-02-29_17-26-55.jpg (97.66 KiB) Viewed 2203 times
By Matt
Hello and welcome to FlytrapCare! That's a beautiful little flytrap you have there!! :D
kutija wrote:I've got it with a lot of green weed around the pot, is this ok or should I remove it ASAP?
That green stuff is carpet moss. It should be peeled away from the flytrap because it can grow in around it and "choke" it out eventually. It is probably best to just repot the flytrap into fresh soil. This time of year is ideal for repotting.

kutija wrote: it has two traps practically "buried" between the weed and are turning yellow any tips what should I do?
When you repot, it will be easier to see if any traps are dead and they can be removed at that time.
By kutija
Thank you, Matt! Great to be here!! Thank you so much for the pointers, I've read on some places that flytraps should not be repotted but that sounds kinda silly to me because I have a lot of other non-carnivorous plants and they are far more delicate than this little guy and I do repot them when needed. So I'll follow your advice on this one, and remove the moss, maybe re-use it for a lightbulb terrarium I have :mrgreen:

Again thank you and have a blessed day!
By Matt
kutija wrote:I've read on some places that flytraps should not be repotted
Haha, really?!! That's a new one to me. Venus flytraps usually really need to be repotted once per year. Without a regular annual repot, the soil usually compacts and isn't as good of a growing medium for them and they will not grow as well.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!