Hello from Borneo

Say hello and tell everyone a bit about yourself.
User Avatar
FNGUS

 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:34 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Hello from Borneo

by FNGUS » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:48 pm

hello and thank for having me here,

New to CP even though i live in borneo. Saw a tropical pitcher plant being sold at the local gardening shop while i was shopping for cacti and airplant and i said to myself - "what the heck. let just buy one, i mean they can't be hard to grow that cactus right" and boy i was wrong. Harder to take care than cacti and what the heck is a sphagnum moss and a few online purchases later manage to procure RO filter system and 200gram of dried sphanum (i also accidentally bought pre fertilized moss for orchid)

so one plant becomes two few weeks later and while on a business trip i acquired a pot of sarracenia, a drossera and a VFT

my goal would be to try to grow most of the lowland species and maybe a few of the highland one

The following users would like to thank FNGUS for this post
Mawy_Plants

User Avatar
javaliz59

 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am
Thanked: 28 times in 22 posts

Re: Hello from Borneo

by javaliz59 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:24 pm

FNGUS wrote:hello and thank for having me here,

New to CP even though i live in borneo. Saw a tropical pitcher plant being sold at the local gardening shop while i was shopping for cacti and airplant and i said to myself - "what the heck. let just buy one, i mean they can't be hard to grow that cactus right" and boy i was wrong. Harder to take care than cacti and what the heck is a sphagnum moss and a few online purchases later manage to procure RO filter system and 200gram of dried sphanum (i also accidentally bought pre fertilized moss for orchid)

so one plant becomes two few weeks later and while on a business trip i acquired a pot of sarracenia, a drossera and a VFT

my goal would be to try to grow most of the lowland species and maybe a few of the highland one
I love it! One trip to the store, make an impulse purchase of a CP which leads to more purchases and.... you're hooked. That's exactly what happened to me except it was a VFT (which is still thriving). I am still a newbie as this is my first year with these awesome beauties. I love them all but Nepenthes are my favorite. I have mostly highland and a few lowland. So your lucky to he living in that part of the world. I envy you. One day I hope to see them in the wild. Good luck in your endeavors, have fun and welcome to the group!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The following users would like to thank javaliz59 for this post
hollyhock

User Avatar
OBD

 
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:49 pm
Location: Silicon Valley, California
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Hello from Borneo

by OBD » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:39 am

Welcome FNGUS,

I'm new here too and got started with a VFT purchase while at the local building supply store. In just a few weeks I've managed to collect a few more plants and my wish list is growing.

Happy growing!

The following users would like to thank OBD for this post
FNGUS

User Avatar
thenewwwguy

 
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:19 am
Location: Portland, OR
Thanked: 0 time in 0 post

Re: Hello from Borneo

by thenewwwguy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:07 am

dude you live in borneo? my #1 suggestion is that you get a nepenthes: those are the local cps and they’re amazing. Sarrs and Vfts are hard in the true tropics since you can’t really offer dormancy, but neps don’t need that dormancy period

User Avatar
javaliz59

 
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am
Thanked: 28 times in 22 posts

Re: Hello from Borneo

by javaliz59 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:14 am

thenewwwguy wrote:dude you live in borneo? my #1 suggestion is that you get a nepenthes: those are the local cps and they’re amazing. Sarrs and Vfts are hard in the true tropics since you can’t really offer dormancy, but neps don’t need that dormancy period
I second that!! Nepenthes are amazing! I love my VFTs, my Serracenias, my Sundews,.... but my Nepenthes are my fav. Yeah, I'm completely obsessed. And the fact that they don't require dormancy is a win win.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

User Avatar
jeff

 
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:41 pm
Thanked: 71 times in 55 posts

Re: Hello from Borneo

by jeff » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 am

Bonjour

you live in Borneo island but in Malaisia or Indonesia ?

User Avatar
riveraXVX

 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:29 am
Thanked: 247 times in 209 posts

Re: Hello from Borneo

by riveraXVX » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:21 am

welcome to the addiction! my kid dragged me here, and now I'm stuck!

User Avatar
FNGUS

 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:34 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Hello from Borneo

by FNGUS » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:27 pm

jeff wrote:Bonjour

you live in Borneo island but in Malaisia or Indonesia ?


the malaysia side

User Avatar
jeff

 
Posts: 343
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:41 pm
Thanked: 71 times in 55 posts

Re: Hello from Borneo

by jeff » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:26 am

Bonjour

then you know may be the Mount Kinabalu or Bako national park with all their nephentes.

are you interested by others plants like amorphophallus or ant plant ?

User Avatar
Shadowtski
Super User
 
Posts: 3604
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:19 am
Thanked: 1188 times in 807 posts

Re: Hello from Borneo

by Shadowtski » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:03 am

Welcome to the Forum.

You are fortunate.
Your climate lets you grow Tropical plants outside.

Good growing,
Mike

User Avatar
FNGUS

 
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:34 pm
Thanked: 1 time in 1 post

Re: Hello from Borneo

by FNGUS » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:05 am

yeah the only downside of growing them outside is insects either being eaten by them or the leafs are eaten by insects


Return to Introduce Yourself!

 


  • Related topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest