Bradford wrote: ↑Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:12 pm
Thank you so much. That was very helpful information. I can't wait to get going. Just need to know which I should try and purchase. Whether a kit or just seeds. Which strain? I can go by lowes and gather the other materials in preparation. Again thanks for the great advice.
Many people say "oh... start with some typicals", but I'm not a fan of that. I just jumped headfirst. That said, here are some *more* vigorous beginner's plants
- Drosera capensis: easy beginner plant
- Pygmy sundews (bought as gemmae), sow these on standard media and they grow fast
- Any sarracenias (they do well outdoors and would be perfect for you)
- Drosera Regia, this one's kinda rare but honestly I torture mine; one of the easiest dews, if you are able to get over the 40 dollar price-point for one.
- Nepenthes Sanguinea/Ventricosa/Veitchii/Boschiana/Fusca - These are more indoor (the others are all outdoor), but don't go for ventrata. Horrible beginner's plant, even I can't get mine to pitcher. These will pitcher every time, grow on windowsills (or outdoors in the summer) and are very nice.
As for vfts, I recommend King Henry or B-52 or Red Dragon (Akai Ryu). Why? Since they're so much more vigorous than the typicals, but they are about 15 bucks (2x the price). I would go quality over quantity when starting out.