FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Whyskas
I got this Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor a couple months ago, and it’s pitchers started to dry out. Now that the pitchers are completely dry what should I do? Also, every time a nee pitcher grows, the nectar cup dries within a couple days.
Attachments:
1E46D6A4-B56B-4D2F-91E6-ED21CBB5A5DA.jpeg
1E46D6A4-B56B-4D2F-91E6-ED21CBB5A5DA.jpeg (1.85 MiB) Viewed 3910 times
By Copper2
Make sure it has distilled water, and put it a large ziplock bag over it to raise humidity. And keep it out of the sun, but place it under a light instead
By Whyskas
Copper2 wrote:Make sure it has distilled water, and put it a large ziplock bag over it to raise humidity. And keep it out of the sun, but place it under a light instead
Do I have to keep the bag closed? How long do I need to have it under the light? Are there any specifications on the type of lightbulb?
By Copper2
Keep the bag closed but you can still open it to check the plant. Helis don’t like heat so most people keep them under indoor lights. I would recommend a t5 light or a led grow light. Check reviews or see what others recommend. I use a Mars hydro 300 watt
By Nepenthes0260
It looks like it has a light deficiency and a lack of humidity. I would either put it in a terrarium with a mister and LED lights, or have a ziplock bag on top of it.
By Whyskas
Copper2 wrote:Keep the bag closed but you can still open it to check the plant. Helis don’t like heat so most people keep them under indoor lights. I would recommend a t5 light or a led grow light. Check reviews or see what others recommend. I use a Mars hydro 300 watt
Thanks for the help! And what should I do with the dead pitchers?
By SundewWolf
You can cut the dead pitchers off. As mentioned they like it cool and humid, so an indoor terrarium is optimal for growing them. This one is a hybrid so it's more hardy, but it will grow a lot better if kept like other heliamphora under bright artificial light. You can also screw around with some cooling elements if you're up for it but for this one it's probably not essential.

One thing I also noticed is that they hate compacted soil. I don't grow any of mine in peat, but use exclusively LFS with perlite. Some people also use live sphagnum with good results. I would repot this plant soon if it were mine.
By Whyskas
SundewWolf wrote:You can cut the dead pitchers off. As mentioned they like it cool and humid, so an indoor terrarium is optimal for growing them. This one is a hybrid so it's more hardy, but it will grow a lot better if kept like other heliamphora under bright artificial light. You can also screw around with some cooling elements if you're up for it but for this one it's probably not essential.

One thing I also noticed is that they hate compacted soil. I don't grow any of mine in peat, but use exclusively LFS with perlite. Some people also use live sphagnum with good results. I would repot this plant soon if it were mine.
It actually is sphagnum, but I guess it has gotten a bit compact over time.
Will this be enough for it to grow fine?
Attachments:
C1B82D8D-AD79-4B6C-A67C-764E3BE093AE.jpeg
C1B82D8D-AD79-4B6C-A67C-764E3BE093AE.jpeg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 3770 times
By Rayne
Mine thrive under t8s with grow lights. I used to use a little humidifier before I had a greenhouse fogger and swamp cooler. They thrive even more now lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Thanks everybody for all your advices and giving m[…]

N. Albomarginata red SG

I have found neps to be slow, especially when they[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@andynorth , You can send me the info sure, thank[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Here we have a volunteer who is sharing their flyt[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

This is the best I can offer since I do not grow i[…]

You should post one in the photo contest. I would […]

Along with that ^^^^, something I had heard to m[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!