Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Sarracenia, Heliamphora, Darlingtonia, Cephalotus plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By tannerm
boarderlib wrote:
tannerm wrote:
mmlucio wrote:Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I handle my heli pitchers all the time, I'd say it's safe to handle. Squirt some distilled water in there. Also, is there any way you can raise the ambient humidity? I really don't like the bag, as it causes stagnant and stale air to form, which leads to major problems. Even with good airflow, mold is a constant enemy for my indoor grow chamber.

Handling pitchers on a healthy plant is a completely different ballgame compared to a dehydrated plant. That's like comparing apples to oranges. As far as bagging, there is absolutely no problems with doing it when you do it properly. If you're having problems with it then I suggest you look at how you are doing it. If you are airing the bag out like you should, and giving the plant the light it needs then all will be well. I have several pots of seedlings that have been bagged for about 5-6 months. They are mold free with almost no algae growth. When I say almost no algae growth, that means there's no visible algae I'm assuming there is some under the surface that cannot be seen though.
SundewWolf wrote:
Same... Raise the ambient humidity of the room to Heli levels? Won't the house will be falling apart from mold in a few years?
Exactly. But I would be more concerned about my family breathing in mold spores. To hell with the house. A house can be replaced, a life can't.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
You'd have to air it out daily. And even still, gently handling to get water in them should be fine.

By boarderlib
tannerm wrote:
You'd have to air it out daily. And even still, gently handling to get water in them should be fine.

I actually air mine out twice a day, although yes once a day can be efficient to get through.

The keyword is gently. I advise against it mostly just to keep things simple. You and I both are fairly experienced with handling these plants, so we know the limits a little better than someone with their first heli. I know I've broken a pitcher or two in my time. I'm pretty sure ill do it again at some point. ;)

By tannerm
boarderlib wrote:
tannerm wrote:

I actually air mine out twice a day, although yes once a day can be efficient to get through.

The keyword is gently. I advise against it mostly just to keep things simple. You and I both are fairly experienced with handling these plants, so we know the limits a little better than someone with their first heli. I know I've broken a pitcher or two in my time. I'm pretty sure ill do it again at some point. ;)

Well yeah, you're not supposed to go hulk on them - LOL! Even perfectly healthy ones can be fragile, especially the nectar spoons.

By boarderlib
tannerm wrote: Well yeah, you're not supposed to go hulk on them - LOL! Even perfectly healthy ones can be fragile, especially the nectar spoons.

Lol, that must be where I'm going wrong. HULK smash!!! Lol

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!