FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By animalisterra
I got a N. ventricosa a little more than a week ago. There was no damage during shipping and the plant looked healthy. This is my first N. and hope to soon have a collection so I am not the best at identifying problems. The plant is under Feit 74302 blue spectrum dual 2' LED grow light. Next to my drosera and pingicula which are doing great. In the details, it says the luminous flux is 1000. It emits 450Nm blue and 655Nm red. It is 6500K. The N. seems to have some yellowing and slowed growth. Im am not sure how long it takes for a leaf to open so I may just have to be patient. It came with one open pitcher and one inflated one. The inflated one seems to have gotten bigger. One of the leaves also appears to have a purple dot.

It is not in a tray of water. I water it every time the medium gets dry and mist it twice a day because of the dry climate.
Attachments:
IMG_8722.jpg
IMG_8722.jpg (988.94 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
IMG_8721.jpg
IMG_8721.jpg (842.41 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
IMG_8717.jpg
IMG_8717.jpg (860.8 KiB) Viewed 2603 times
IMG_8716.jpg
IMG_8716.jpg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 2603 times
By -twillyranger-
With the yellowing leafs it might be because of the lighting, I have luck with my Nepenthes under a 75 watt (actual output) CFL bulb. I have had it for about a month and it has plenty of new leafs and pitchers.
By animalisterra
Should I just put it next to the windowsill? The window would get all day sun but there is a big tree blocking some of It.
By twitterglitter
I think the yellowing leaves is probably just natural leaf turn over. In my experience, when I get a new nep it will lose a leaf or two and it will also have the pitchers dry up. It's actually normal for a new plant to do this while it adjusts to its new environment.
Leaves will also yellow from too much water or too much light. It doesnt sound like a watering issue, but it could be the lighting, depending on how close it is to the lights.
My ventricosa does well sitting in a south facing window with a sheer curtain to filter the light when the sun is intense. I'm sorry I can't give you a better answer, the app I'm using won't let me see your photo's. I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
By animalisterra
I am probably using too much light. It is about 7 inches from the top of the pot with about 14 hours of light. This is growing the drosera and pinguicula very nicely but I guess the nepenthes does not like it. I doubt it is shock as the new pitcher is enflating and the opened one has not shown any signes of dying.

How long does it take for a leaf to unfurl?
By tmann51
Nepenthes.jpg
Nepenthes.jpg (2.48 MiB) Viewed 2421 times
I've had this plant since mid-February. It had a couple of pitchers when I got it which eventually faded. At 1st I had it about 8" under a T5 fixture and it produced no new pitchers but I had one yellow leaf after another. I concluded either the T5s were too bright (4' 6 tubes) or it was too warm or both. I put a hanger on the pot and began hanging it in a southern exposure window all day. I also began spraying the tendril tips like twice a day based on something I saw in a You Tube video. That's when I started getting pitchers. In this case, my operating theory was if the tendril drys up you don't get a pitcher. It worked for me anyway, it has 4 pitchers on it and a couple more on the way.
Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!!

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!