FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By cdelavan
Just out of curiosity I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on the hardest Drosera there is to grow? I have several different types and they all are quite easy to grow. I was just curious as to the higher end difficult ones.
By SerMuncherIV
Probably one of the tuberous ones, excluding the D. peltata complex for the most part. D. schizandra is no walk in the park either. D. falconeri is the hardest (in my opinion) out of the D. petiolaris complex. Generally, temperate and subtropical Drosera are the easiest.
By nimbulan
From what I've read, Drosera arcturi is singificantly more difficult to grow than any other sundew. They are very picky about conditions and naturally grow in alpine regions with a very long dormancy.
By stitz25b
South american sundews seem to be hardest. Especially highland ones like those which live on roraima
By w03
It's all rather relative, but cool-growing Drosera tend to be the hardest.

D. arcturi and to a lesser extent D. murfetti are very difficult by general consensus due to the necessity of cool conditions and the long dormancy as mentioned above. Similar things have been said of D. linearis although it's from a different region.

Petiolaris complex needs constant lowland conditions to stay in active growth. As said before D. falconeri is the exacting of them.

South American sundews all require intermediate to highland conditions, but there are both quite picky and easy ones. I've heard D. meristocaulis, D. camporupestris, D. schwackei, and a few others are rather difficult.

D. schizandra seems to be picky for some but very easy for others.

Most tuberous Drosera and the annual D. glanduligera need constant cool conditions and tons of feeding to survive.
By corky
All depends on where you live and how different the requirements are to the climate your living in. If you live in the right area in Australia you could grow tuberous dews in your lawn, in England its a bit trickier
corky liked this

More additions! Thanks Secretariat73! S. leucophy[…]

Drosera germination time

Re: germination time, I got some d. madagascariens[…]

Transaction with Secretariat73

I must concur. Despite the best efforts of our dea[…]

So far, not less than five days apart. Humidity va[…]

Argh! Just 4 days left in the photo contest and we[…]

SASE received. Order is fulfilled. Return envelope[…]

My Sarracenia x moorei 'Red Velvet' is turning out[…]

Hello, New to the forum

And if the deer runs, be sure to track it down. A […]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!