FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Nepenthes plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By BugBiters
My N. (lowii x veitchii) x boschiana female is flowering! In the past I would've considered snipping this one, since the plant is a little small and went through some recent stress, but the only one I've done that with went on to try and flower another two times in three months :shock: It definitely ended up in worse shape than if I'd done nothing. I don't know whether I will end up pollinating at all (since I have to track some down first anyways) but I am going to leave it until it starts to wilt naturally either way. The plant did great the whole trip (and since getting back) so hopefully it handles it okay.

ImageImage
MaxVft liked this
By BugBiters
thepitchergrower wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:16 am Nice! please take some pictures when the flower is matured!!!

here is a video from california carnivores about nepenthes pollination:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpyduTHHFQ
I definitely will. And thanks for the link! I have his book but I haven't watched that one.
By Nepenthes0260
Find a male pollen donor veitch x max x veitch and you’ll be able to raise quite the cash crop with your new lvb x vmv grex :lol:
Attachments:
1259C9A8-7146-47C8-AFF4-993726274DDA.jpeg
1259C9A8-7146-47C8-AFF4-993726274DDA.jpeg (157.82 KiB) Viewed 2511 times
MaxVft, BugBiters liked this
By BugBiters
Nepenthes0260 wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:39 am Find a male pollen donor veitch x max x veitch and you’ll be able to raise quite the cash crop with your new lvb x vmv grex :lol:
Heehee, you've guessed my secret plan :twisted: I have snatched up a number of nice breeding females incl. this one, 'Rokko', and a number of relatives.

Now I just need a dude to flower! Any dude, at this point. I went too far the other way :lol:
Nepenthes0260 liked this
By BugBiters
Well, I'm super happy to report that I've got two potential sources of pollen now: some spathulata x spectabilis from a user on here that is ready and waiting (yay!) and I also nabbed a cheap spathulata x petiolata male in spike. It seems to have kept it's flower through shipping so hopefully it will be a good backup just in case the first batch was damaged in the mail.

A cursory google search doesn't show any results for either of those grexes, and it would be neat to see the results. I have some N. robycantleyi and some mixed hybrid seeds in microprop right now for my first test batch, so if it is successful some of this seed will go straight into agar also. Our sterile process is confirmned successful, and I am just waiting to see if I've murdered the seeds along the way or not. Such a wait involved with these silly things. ;)

looks ok but i wanted to pass on what i am doing. […]

I've acquired some Avid and wanted some advice on […]

Here is a fun pest control tip. Windex kills ants […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 day[…]

Finally

Healthy-looking, too!!! Nice job!!! Thanks. […]

alecStewart1's Grow List and Wants

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bl[…]

Micrantha

Got some too which are growing well. They are cute[…]

I'd say that that trap will probably die...way too[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!