FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discussions about anything related to Venus Flytraps, cultivars and named clones

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
:mrgreen: hello venus flytrap community!! :mrgreen:

i want to know what are the advantages and disadvantages of buying a venus flytrap already grown?

please comment on it! ;) , also if you got any suggestions or experiences with your VFT i would be more than glad to know them!! :D
Last edited by jht-union on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By CaMoreno3
Hi! Welcome to Fly Trap Care!

Do you mean buying a grown as opposed to purchasing seeds or a seedling. I would recommend starting off your collecting with one or a few grown flytraps before you start to cultivate seeds/seedlings. VFTs take a very long time to mature (often more than 3 years) from a seed. A good possibility would be to buy a mature plant, wait for it to flower, make sure it gets pollinated, and then plant the seeds once the seed pod matures. If you plant your seeds successfully, you will have MANY flytraps. I think you'll be much more satisfied starting off with a mature plant.

-Cameron
CaMoreno3 liked this
By Matt
I agree with Cameron. But if you really want to grow some plants from seed, I say go for it! I think most people that try to grow flytraps from seed don't know that they take so long to grow. If you know that already, you won't be disappointed when they're so small for the first year that you need a magnifying glass to see them :)
Matt liked this
By jht-union
CaMoreno3 wrote:Hi! Welcome to Fly Trap Care!

Do you mean buying a grown as opposed to purchasing seeds or a seedling. I would recommend starting off your collecting with one or a few grown flytraps before you start to cultivate seeds/seedlings. VFTs take a very long time to mature (often more than 3 years) from a seed. A good possibility would be to buy a mature plant, wait for it to flower, make sure it gets pollinated, and then plant the seeds once the seed pod matures. If you plant your seeds successfully, you will have MANY flytraps. I think you'll be much more satisfied starting off with a mature plant.

-Cameron

thank you a lot, i really appreciate your comments!!!! I i will begin with grown VFTs so i could have lots of seeds at the end! thank you i'm really glad you comment on my post!
By jht-union
Matt wrote:I agree with Cameron. But if you really want to grow some plants from seed, I say go for it! I think most people that try to grow flytraps from seed don't know that they take so long to grow. If you know that already, you won't be disappointed when they're so small for the first year that you need a magnifying glass to see them :)

thank you Matt, i will surely begin with grown up VFTs, and then i will have lot's of seeds, today i plant my two seeds in sphagnum moss, i follow all the steps, hope they grow well! ;)
Water Lettuce

Water lettuce is very calcium hungry for me, to th[…]

I didn't pollinate any of them. I'll be surprised […]

All Mineral Media

Do people generally buy the 50lb bag of turfac[…]

belloda requests D. capillaris (Butler Co., AL), […]

Another eBay Deal

Wow. Thats seems like a really good deal.

Expanding the Garden

It was a bunch of pepper plants mainly, along with[…]

What’s happening

It looks to be planted too deep. You want the rhiz[…]

Thank you for the seeds and the little gift Cant w[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!