FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Got a carnivorous plant and you don't know what it is? Ask here!

Moderator: Matt

By jht-union
hello FTC community!!!!!!

jus want it to ask a really good question that i know it would help a lot of people( and me) that is trying to find out all about temperate CP's, here it goes, if you know the name of all the temperate Carnivorous Plants, i will be very happy to know it, i will buy them all in the future to complete my collection of all the temperate carnivorous plants, also if you know about that specific CP plant, and you know the temperature, any specific care for that CP plant i will be happy to know it, i'm looking for CP's that will resist temps of 100F,112F, 85-99F in summer times( and will not get burn if it gets too much light in the summer), and in winter times, i'm looking for CP's that will resist temps that go down less than 35F( short and longer times of extremely cold weather that might last for a short/ long extended period of times, and/or short/long freezes,),( or the regular for most CP's 40F), or if you know of a CP that might resist the temps of cary, NC comment in this post too.

right now, i got 2-3 typicals VFT, 3-4 pink VFT, 1 dentate,3-4 vigorius, 1 drosera intermedia,(for tomorrow "maybe", 2 sarracenia Rubra i bought from matt on sunday) , 130-140 baby VFT's, and 150 seeds that i put recently of drosera intermedia

Thanks to everyone, and hope to see lots of CP's names in here!!!!!=)
By jht-union
just want it to add something, if you have a temperate CP, i will be happy to have it!!, if you do have one( not listed in my list, or listed in my list too), i will buy it from you( probably now, or in the future, 2011), i really want some temperate CP's,(or CP's temperate seeds), and once i have the right amount of CP's i will be able to be a good member of the FTC community!!, and give seeds out, or plants for the others who are just starting like me!!! LOL

thanks!!! :D
By Oblivion
JHT, giving out seed wont make you a good ftc member.
.......coz you already are one :P
your request sounds like the calling of the capensis to me..hardy and unstoppable.
get yourself a different variety if you want something a little nicer.. like a mini red capensis, cap' giant, just giving you idea's based on some of the different cap's ive got going (cant tell you about what i have no experience with ;) )
Oblivion liked this
By jht-union
Oblivion wrote:JHT, giving out seed wont make you a good ftc member.
.......coz you already are one :P
your request sounds like the calling of the capensis to me..hardy and unstoppable.
get yourself a different variety if you want something a little nicer.. like a mini red capensis, cap' giant, just giving you idea's based on some of the different cap's ive got going (cant tell you about what i have no experience with ;) )
Thanks Oblivion!!!=), the thing is, i don't know where else to buy the other temperate CP's, if they were available in the FTC Store i would buy them all, and the few at the FTC store that are temperate, right now are not in stock, but if you know another website that sells like a mini red capensis or other temperate CP's, it would be nice if you could tell me! :D

Thank you for your answer oblivion!!!!!

and hope to see some other names of Temperate CP's in here!!! :mrgreen:
By Oblivion
if your not in too much of a rush, and can hold out on a "maybe"... i "maybe" ;) able to send you some seeds in the future, if/when it ripens.

Snapperhead's pretty good at farming hoards of capensis, he might also have some seed stalks already ripened. :D
By jht-union
Oblivion wrote:if your not in too much of a rush, and can hold out on a "maybe"... i "maybe" ;) able to send you some seeds in the future, if/when it ripens.

Snapperhead's pretty good at farming hoards of capensis, he might also have some seed stalks already ripened. :D
Thank you very much oblivion, and i will see if Snapperhead have some, or help me, thank you for helping me!
By Oblivion
another option, i just noticed FTC's international store has capensis alba seed for 4.95 if you want a regular alba, so i guess it'll be on the regular store too ??
also some drosera anglica.. (which i know nothing about, sorry)

if its not in stock in the regular store maybe drop matt or steve an email, im sure they'd have some they can put in the store for you.

in the meantime mine are now right on the verge of beginning to ripen, so only a few wks max. ill let ya know. ;)
Oblivion liked this
By jht-union
Oblivion wrote:another option, i just noticed FTC's international store has capensis alba seed for 4.95 if you want a regular alba, so i guess it'll be on the regular store too ??
also some drosera anglica.. (which i know nothing about, sorry)

if its not in stock in the regular store maybe drop matt or steve an email, im sure they'd have some they can put in the store for you.

in the meantime mine are now right on the verge of beginning to ripen, so only a few wks max. ill let ya know. ;)

Thanks Oblivion, i will do that next time, i'll let Matt know which one i want so that he could put the CP in Stock!!, snapperhead is sending me some seeds, but i guess the more CP seeds in my pot, the better it would be!!!, and if you have any weird or non common variety CP seeds(temperate), let me know i think i should be able to pay you for them!!!

when springs arrives, there will be a lot of seeds germinating, and the pot will look awesome with all the CP babies!!!!!!!!!!

many thanks!!!=)
By Oblivion
have you ever thought about making a mini shade house?

get a cheap greenhouse like i have for 20 or 30 bucks.. and fit your own shadecloth instead of the plastic !

if you want to go even smaller, i actually made a box frame to sit over just a couple of pots.. i used wooden dowell, some small black plastic elbows, Tee's etc that you'd normally use on a diy home sprinkler setup.

dowells fit tight into the elbows/tee's.. make a basic frame, add shadecloth. maybe a little bit of weight on the bottom so it doesnt blow around.

total cost of either should be 20-50, with the shelf type mini greenhouse recovered in shadecloth being your best option imo..
and if you got room for plants you should have room for something like the above?

here ya go.. heres a pic of the mini g/h i have.. store the plastic somewhere in your shed, and fit shadecloth for summer?
By jht-union
Oblivion wrote:have you ever thought about making a mini shade house?

get a cheap greenhouse like i have for 20 or 30 bucks.. and fit your own shadecloth instead of the plastic !

if you want to go even smaller, i actually made a box frame to sit over just a couple of pots.. i used wooden dowell, some small black plastic elbows, Tee's etc that you'd normally use on a diy home sprinkler setup.

dowells fit tight into the elbows/tee's.. make a basic frame, add shadecloth. maybe a little bit of weight on the bottom so it doesnt blow around.

total cost of either should be 20-50, with the shelf type mini greenhouse recovered in shadecloth being your best option imo..
and if you got room for plants you should have room for something like the above?

here ya go.. heres a pic of the mini g/h i have.. store the plastic somewhere in your shed, and fit shadecloth for summer?

yes, i have think about building one, i got all the materials available to build one, but right now is impossible for me to build one, during holidays i will start to build my own, i already got the sketch in a piece of paper of how it would look like!!!. If i use a green house(small one), would i be able to buy tropical CP plants(even if it is cold, or in winter times)?, can a green house be put in direct sunlight?, and during summer can you take the plants out, so that they can receive full sunlight??

thanks oblivion! :mrgreen:
By Oblivion
while reading my book "the savage garden" by peter d'amato last night i come across a section titles "Temperate drosera's"

theres a whole bunch of great info, and the book is only 20 bucks delivered and contains a wealth of info.
i'd rather not plagiarise the whole chapter as it should be in the collection of every cp growr !

heres a list of plants that are mentioned

drosera,

rotundifolia
anglica
x obovata
intermedia
beleziana
linearis
filiformis (this is a pretty good looking drosera)
filiformis ssp filimormis (aka florida giant)
filiformis x california sunset
hybrida
arcturi
By jht-union
Oblivion wrote:while reading my book "the savage garden" by peter d'amato last night i come across a section titles "Temperate drosera's"

theres a whole bunch of great info, and the book is only 20 bucks delivered and contains a wealth of info.
i'd rather not plagiarise the whole chapter as it should be in the collection of every cp growr !

heres a list of plants that are mentioned

drosera,

rotundifolia
anglica
x obovata
intermedia
beleziana
linearis
filiformis (this is a pretty good looking drosera)
filiformis ssp filimormis (aka florida giant)
filiformis x california sunset
hybrida
arcturi

thanks a lot, i will add those to my collection, the problem would be getting all of them.=(, but i guess there's always time to get them, and i know some users will be willing to sell some.

Thank you Oblivion!!=)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240424/a61a408[…]

Bag them for a month, opening the bag every day or[…]

Flower stalks for sale

I have three sundews, a typical red VFT, and ten V[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

@optique , We call it turf, I've used it before o[…]

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!