FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss Drosera, Byblis, and Drosophyllum plant care here

Moderator: Matt

By Apollyon
Berrybob wrote:
Apollyon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 am
Berrybob wrote:Yes I have some pictures. There to small to feed, so no i have not fed them.
Nice! I actually ended up getting germination myself. I thought I had empty pots after I scraped the soil. I'm sure I lost a bunch but I have about 9 with one freakish plant growing larger with red leaves. I'm not sure what the mature version of this plant looks like. Mine was labelled "Anglesa"
Thats great to hear. I got the Sydney variety.
If we have a successful growing season maybe we can trade a couple tubers or something
By DeadlyCarnivore
Berrybob wrote:.
Oh nice! They should get big enough to feed soon.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

By Berrybob
Apollyon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:49 am
Berrybob wrote:
Apollyon wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:07 am

Nice! I actually ended up getting germination myself. I thought I had empty pots after I scraped the soil. I'm sure I lost a bunch but I have about 9 with one freakish plant growing larger with red leaves. I'm not sure what the mature version of this plant looks like. Mine was labelled "Anglesa"
Thats great to hear. I got the Sydney variety.
If we have a successful growing season maybe we can trade a couple tubers or something
Definitely!
By murrkywaters
Night temps for me are in the 60's. I haven't started watering them yet, I figured I'd give it a few weeks before I'd start to let the temps get down for me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

By Apollyon
murrkywaters wrote:Night temps for me are in the 60's. I haven't started watering them yet, I figured I'd give it a few weeks before I'd start to let the temps get down for me.

You'll want to get the seeds damp earlier than the onset of germination. Simulate the beginning of the seasonal changes. It said beginning of the fall is a good time to set them in trays. They seem to respond weirdly like that, at least according to ICPS. I also read something about 250ppm GA3 is used for tuberous sundew seeds. I had the seeds in damp soil for about a month before the temp drop allowed for germination. They won't be harmed by watering in the heat.
By murrkywaters
I've had them out in the heat for the 4 weeks of heat stratification recommended from the seller, which is up on the 2nd of November. Idk if that's long enough or too long. The species are stolonifera, lowriei, and the non tuberous but still winter growing glanduligera.

By Apollyon
I know some sprout late anyway. If you keep them fed throughout they may form the tubers. You could extend the growing season if necessary. Thats where info gets pretty gray. I was thinking of doing the ga3 thing and seeing if I could skip the stratication all together when the seed bank resets. It'll put me at the same time. They'll start going dormant when the temps get into the 80s.
By murrkywaters
I'm trying the GA3 route with 1/2 my gigantea seeds. Fingers crossed for that.

By nimbulan
murrkywaters wrote:I've had them out in the heat for the 4 weeks of heat stratification recommended from the seller, which is up on the 2nd of November. Idk if that's long enough or too long. The species are stolonifera, lowriei, and the non tuberous but still winter growing glanduligera.
A quick note on D. lowriei: It's one of the most notoriously difficult species to germinate. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 5+ years of heat treatments to get those to budge. I actually know someone who had a batch of D. ramellosa (just as difficult to germinate) all pop up suddenly after sitting in the pot exposed to the elements for 7 years. Myself I've had pretty good success with heavy bleach treatment, essentially removing the entire seed coat from the seeds though you have to be very careful not to overdo it, of course.

I will be interested to see if you can get D. glanduligera going though. I've tried several times without success, though I suspect the seeds were too old.
By murrkywaters
I've heard the glanduligera really need to bake before they'll go. I've had them out in the vegas sun in 110° F heat. We'll see how they fair.

By DeadlyCarnivore
Berrybob wrote:.
Hey! I'm curious as to how your seedlings are doing? My tuberous drosera has come out of dormancy and has taken off in the 2 weeks that have passed. How big are your seedlings getting?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Ghost users?

Panman and myself should be moderators so that we[…]

How are yout plants doing?

I have around 60 sarracenia flava seeds stratifyin[…]

Seed bank giveaway III

are pygmy sundews hard to grow? i heard the need[…]

Hello from badwolftardis

Welcome! I love your name

Silica Sand

I prefer Shultz over Wolfgang

I'm looking to buy Nepenthes lingulata, and am als[…]

Well damn! Lucky you, I had to pay to unlock the F[…]

Order received. Your order number is 0772. I'll PM[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!