FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Post any care guides or tutorials here.

Moderator: Matt

By zig2517
There's been a lot of good info on here regarding the moss. However, what I can't seem to find is how to actually PLANT the stuff. I have some of the "soil" medium that I purchased through this website and I have two healthy VFTs in it. I got some moss a year or two ago, but it is for sure dead. I just ordered some new moss from here. The question I have is how to actually plant it. Do I dig a hole and stick the sprigs in? just lay it on top of the soil (that's what I did before and it didn't work). bury it completely?
By SFLguy
Put it on top of the soil, but remember, they don't like having as much sun as VFTs do, they prefer indirect sunlight
By zig2517
thanks for the video. however, I'm using the planting medium instead of all moss. What I had done was use the planting medium and then just a thin layer of moss on top to help hold in moisture. Should I just skip using the moss? should I put a thicker layer on top? should I plant it somehow?
By Matt
zig2517 wrote:Should I just skip using the moss? should I put a thicker layer on top? should I plant it somehow?
It's all up to you. What are you trying to achieve by using the moss as a layer? Most people who use it as a layer are trying to keep the perlite from floating up.
By zig2517
good question. I guess I was using it as a layer to keep moisture in the growing medium, but maybe it's not necessary at all?
By Matt
zig2517 wrote:good question. I guess I was using it as a layer to keep moisture in the growing medium, but maybe it's not necessary at all?
No, that's not necessary. Any suitable flytrap growing medium will retain plenty of moisture without assistance from a covering layer.

People also use live moss for decoration because it looks very nice once it gets established. As SFLguy said, you can just lay it on top of the soil and it will grow as long as you keep it damp. It also grows well in pots by itself, which may be better because keeping the moss wet enough to grow well if it's on top of your flytrap soil, it would likely result in the underneath moss being too wet.
By Leathal_Traps
If u wanna culture miss start off in a SMALL CONTAINER. otherwise mine always dries out. Will post details on how I grow when I'm on my pcImage

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Unknown pest?

Those little bugs sound like they could be springt[…]

Is This What To Look For?

Update: Just a couple pics of the end (beginning[…]

Thoughts on Predatory Plants

i have a 10 or so neps. i got from them, always he[…]

Anyone had experience with these cultivars? Venus[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

Let me put a couple things together and I will pos[…]

So I thought I would enter my 3 sticky guys that I[…]

Effects of Fertilizer

Without pics of the location of the trigger hairs […]

Hello all 👋 as post says looking to procure a Regi[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!