FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss non-carnivorous plants here

Moderator: Matt

By Monarch-puppet
Hello, I'm Ashley and I'm rarely new to all this..
Do I need peat at the bottom in order for it to grow? Might be a dumb question (I just think I remember seeing something about someone growing it without the peat)
Second, how much humidity does it prefer
Third, which watering method do you suggest? Thank you

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
By Sakaaaaa
Im pretty sure you can grow sphagnum without peat at the bottom, usually if your growing conditions for CPs are right, sphagnum will grow. Keep the water level just below the moss. It does not like hot sun. Spray with foliar fertilizer at least once a month. After that, you should have a pot full in less than a year (well depending on the size of the pot). After you have a buttload of sphagnum you can use it for "soil" for CPs. Or just make a DIY christmas tree...
By Leathal_Traps
Sphagnum moss took me almost 2 years to understand how to grow it properly through trial and error. My first tip and the most important: It needs good amount of light. If you want thick heads than a lot of light is a must, otherwise it will be all stringy and pretty much useless. Secondly, humidity is not all that important. I recommend placing the live sphagnum on dead spahgnum, but no media is actually needed. When you first lay the sphagnum on your media of choice, keep the strands very close to each other. Sphagnum likes to grow with sphagnum, and individual strands in my experience don't grow as fast when they are alone. For the first two weeks keep the media very wet until the sphagnum gets established ( if your humidity is low). At this point new heads should be popping up and you should decrease how wet you keep the media. Most species don't like being submerged under water. The more it grows, the faster it will grow, and the easier it will be to maintain. Once it forms a nice clump it will maintain it's own humidity and will require less frequent watering.

Good luck with yours! Here is a pic of my favorite pot:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF7bsA2v_IV ... =ivanikinz

originally that pot looked like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD1aL-3P_Nd ... =ivanikinz
By Leathal_Traps
TisDro wrote:Awesome!! Would you say there's any difference between the different colors of live spag? I'm considering getting some because I told itd be perfect for a highland nep I'll be getting soon
There is a great difference between different species. Some have thicker heads, some thinner, some are red, green, orange, brown and the list goes on.
By Kaila
Have you guys have any experience in buying live sphagnum moss on ebay? they have some for around 10 dollars but I don't know if those are good for propagating or reliable for that matter.

All these talk about live sphagnum moss makes me want to try to see if I can grow some on my own. :lol:
By Monarch-puppet
Leathal_Traps wrote:Sphagnum moss took me almost 2 years to understand how to grow it properly through trial and error. My first tip and the most important: It needs good amount of light. If you want thick heads than a lot of light is a must, otherwise it will be all stringy and pretty much useless. Secondly, humidity is not all that important. I recommend placing the live sphagnum on dead spahgnum, but no media is actually needed. When you first lay the sphagnum on your media of choice, keep the strands very close to each other. Sphagnum likes to grow with sphagnum, and individual strands in my experience don't grow as fast when they are alone. For the first two weeks keep the media very wet until the sphagnum gets established ( if your humidity is low). At this point new heads should be popping up and you should decrease how wet you keep the media. Most species don't like being submerged under water. The more it grows, the faster it will grow, and the easier it will be to maintain. Once it forms a nice clump it will maintain it's own humidity and will require less frequent watering.

Good luck with yours! Here is a pic of my favorite pot:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF7bsA2v_IV ... =ivanikinz

originally that pot looked like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BD1aL-3P_Nd ... =ivanikinz
Thank you, that was very helpful Image

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

id just leave it on its own and itll either sort i[…]

I have an indoor greenhouse that does the same […]

I've been keeping a lookout at the Wallyworld's in[…]

Not what you would expect...

ant hill? And we have a winner!!!! YES!!!! A […]

Something to remember about water and alcohol. I a[…]

Micrantha

I have eight happy micrantha babies from receiving[…]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Wow, the only ones my local nursery gets (SummerWi[…]

I would love to see photos of your orchids in bloo[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!