FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Discuss water requirements, "soil" (growing media) and suitable planting containers

Moderator: Matt

By Ambanja
I wonder if there really is a limit to the amount of sunlight you can give them? They do grow in full sun, just mostly combined with unlimited water. I'm testing a tray in full sun now, I keep watering it as much as possible. Too soon to tell any difference.
By jwbates26
As you mentioned, it looks thirsty. I got a small pump sprayer that I use to spray mine down every day. I make sure the water runs through the moss but isn't enough to collected in large amounts in the bottom.

This is kind of how I think of it. Wet it like a sponge. You Don't want it to be so saturated that its dripping out of the sponge but holding as much water as it can.
By coline
Here there are some of the photos:

The capensis plants I have in my moss are plants that "died" in their pots for age reason, and "revived" in the moss (on purpose)
coline liked this
By Ericrud

So anyways, I know it's Friday, but I won't be here on Sunday, going on a camping trip. So here's an update today.

Basically that plant thing is a kalancho and it is a miracle.. That stem gotripped off by my sliding door. It lied on the ground ripped off completely off of the mother plant for 3 weeks. And I decided hey... It's still green, might as well try to save it, so I planted it in the sphagnum and its starting to develope roots along with a flower it's shooting up. I'll replant it once I use the sphagnum for something else. But for now it's a growing miracle. Sphagnum is legendary.
By imonyse
I live in a dry area. And from my own experience, if you want to be successful growing live sphagnum moss in the open air, you need to put these live part very very close and compact with each other.
imonyse, imonyse liked this
By Vern
Oh wow, these pictures are amazing.

I have like a small thumb print size of live sphagnum in a plastic container, I hope that one day it will do more rather than sit there in water. It has gotten bigger over the months but its just 1 sprig that did.

where is a good place to buy vfts in australia. he[…]

Fishing

Hi Chef, I'm interested in whatever you have that […]

Basal shoots cutting questions

Took 5 basal shoots off the mother that were rootl[…]

Dionaea m. ‘Ginormous’

For me it grew tall leaves with small traps, but v[…]

Nep/Heli bundle

Here’s some pics of a platy vog (not this o[…]

Polimbo 52

Seedlings in the beginning of their third year. Th[…]

Repotting carnivorous plants

the media looks like peat? Did you add water and f[…]

Seeds received. Thanks Chef and donors!

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!