FlytrapCare Carnivorous Plant Forums

Sponsored by FlytrapStore.com

Ask questions about how to grow and care for Venus Flytraps

Moderator: Matt

By Anrich
Right, we all know the sowing on moss routine, but what finer aspects of germinating dionaea seeds??
the perfect medium temp.
how many hours light a day.( artifical light?)
humidity?
Any Ideas???
By Matt
I've tried germinating seeds outdoors under uncontrolled conditions and indoors in my terrarium. In my terrarium the humidity is usually between 40% and 50% with temperatures ranging from the low 60s°F at night to up near 80°F during the day. I keep the photo period set to 16 hours. The seeds seem to begin germinating after about 2.5 weeks with most germination occurring between the 3rd and 4th weeks.

Outside it was a different story. Germination took longer. I sowed a bunch of seed late last August. The temperatures were getting down into the 40s°F at night. The photo period was decreasing and at that point, it was probably 14 hours a day. The humidity wasn't controlled, but it probably varied between 20% and 40%. Germination took quite a while. I think it took about 6 weeks before I noticed any germination and then growth was very slow. They're all on my back porch now and they look very healthy. I'm going to move them outside again in a couple of months. I can't wait to see how they do this year.

Anyway, those are my limited experiences.
By linton
Hi Anrich, I have gone crazy sowing Dionaea seed this year. I sowed a pack of seed on long fiber sphagnum moss inside under lights and ended up with poor germination and mold all over the moss, it took nearly 6 weeks to see any growth at all and I only ended up with 2 weak looking seedlings. The rest of my seeds I have sown on peat/sand mix outside under 50% shadecloth and kept the medium very wet. The daytime temperatures have been very hot here in Southern Australia for the last month (30-45 degrees C) and germination has been very good - up to 90% germination in around 3-4 weeks. Probably also due to the good quality, fresh seed supplied by Steve @ Flytrapranch (thanks Steve). Based on this, in the future I will only be sowing seed outside.
By Adam
As I said in another thread, I'm starting to get very positive germination results in just distilled water. These are the seeds that Steve_D sent me.

Adam
Is my Leigh Wilkerson sick?

Hi Andy If you are talking about the brown marks […]

Not what you would expect...

Is it the growth inside the condiment cup. ( I cal[…]

Unknown Sarr from CalCarn

Could be a Flava, probably hybrid. Maybe has some […]

Rescue Sarracenia Rosea?

Same, my local nursery gets a lot of them. Do you […]

Hello. I recently acquired a hamata about 5 days […]

I think my plant is dying!!!

But my plant I bought from the same place doesn't […]

Soil looks quite dry to me.

Yescom Altrnatives

always found this listing weird because it h[…]

Support the community - Shop at FlytrapStore.com!